Subject: Re: Question for Cygwin
From: "Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM" <[email-masked]>
To: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Atsushi Ihara/Japan/IBM" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:47:42 -0400

I have actually done this. I don't recommend it. The end user will most
likely be confused
as to which utility is being used. He will type
     man ls
and get the documentation for the cygwin ls irrespective of what ls he
actually runs. Also, the SFU has no
compiler so you can't build programs which means you cannot partake of the
open-source movement.

The SFU stuff is based on the POSIX subsystem in NT/2000 and therefore, you
cannot easily build a program to work with it. (From the POSIX subsystem
you cannot access the win32 API's).

I have also installed the Interix product (again from Microsoft -- yes,
they have two Unix environments), another POSIX subsystem thing that is
more complete than SFU (NFS Servers and clients).

Is there something specific out of the SFU you wanted?

Ed Bradford

Your Windows 2000 Arborist
T/L 589-4410; Outside: 1-919-993-4410
[email-masked]

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>@sources.redhat.com on
09/20/2000 01:13:37 PM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   Atsushi Ihara/Japan/IBM@IBMJP, [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: Question for Cygwin

At 04:34 AM 9/20/2000, Atsushi Ihara wrote:

>Thank you very much for your kind support so far.
>
>I have a question for Cygwin.
>
>Our customer is useing The Cygwin(GNU:CygnusWin32: b20) on Windows NT 4.0
>machine.
>In addition to The Cygwin, They want to install Windows NT Service for
UNIX 1.0a
>on the same Windows NT machine.
>
>Q1. Is it possible to coexist The Cygwin and Windows NT Service for UNIX
on the
>same machine ?

I haven't tried this but it should be generally possible.

>Q2. If it is possible to coexist The Cygwin and Windows NT Service for
UNIX, Is
>there attention when Windows NT Service for UNIX is installed on Cygwin's
>environment ?

Absolutely.  You should be sure that like-named utilities and services in
the two systems don't get used interchangeably.  In other words, to use
Cygwin utilities (like ls, less, gcc, etc), make sure that the MS tools
are nowhere in the user's path.  The reverse should be true when using the
MS tools.  Also, if there are conflicting services in use for both
packages,
its best to make sure the services that go with the tools in use are active
and the others are not.

>Could you please answer to the above point ?
>
>Would you please let me know if you are not a right person to handle it ?
>
>Best regards.
>
>$BF|K\%"%$!&%S!<!&%(%`!J3t!K!!#I#T#S;v6HIt!!4X@>CO6h5;=QIt!!Bh0l#I#T%5!
<%S%9It(B
>$B0f86!!FF!J#T#E#L!'(B06-6342-7167 /1611-7167$B!!(BFAX$B!'(B06-6347-1031
>$B#E!]#m#a#i#l!'(Baiha$B!w(Bjp.ibm.com$B!K(B
>

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]