Subject: net-mounted non-NTFS drives (possible readdir issue)
From: Jonathan Segal <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:14:27 -0400

Hi,

  I am trying to use cygwin in a heterogenous networked environment, with NT
boxes and NetAPP fileservers.

the problem: "ls" does not return any files when applied to a directory mounted
from one of the Netapps.  The netapps export directories directly as CIFS
exports, and I have them mounted and mapped to a letter drive on my local
machine.  For all non-cygwin systems I've run, there has never been a problem.

I have traced this to the "readdir" command run within ls -- it doesn't return
any files on these drives.  The files are, though, accesible if you know the
name directly.

For example, if the current directory is a network-mounted drive,
% ls
always returns
total 0

but
% ls foo.c
returns
foo.c

(when foo.c is a file in that directory),
and the file is readable, given that I know its name.

Other similar things (bash completion, etc.) also don't work (which wouldn't be
surprising if the problem is with readdir).

It doesn't seem to matter whether the drive has been "mount"ed or not via the
cygwin mount command.

I am using the latest clean 1.1.4 build, but had a similar problem with an
earlier 1.1.2 build I tried.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem and, most importantly, found a
solution?

Thanks,
 -Jonathan
--
Jonathan Segal
Principal Software Engineer/Group Leader, Bioinformatics
Genome Therapeutics Corp.
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]