Subject: Display problems with cygwin
From: David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]>
To: "Horanburg, Chadd (ISS Southfield)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:58:39 +0100

On Thursday 14 Sep 00, Horanburg, Chadd (ISS Southfield) writes:
> Hello there. I've recently been given the task of figuring out how to
> securely remote admin a PC.

Depending on your requirements, I don't believe that Cygwin is a good
choice for this.  For one thing, Cygwin may not be secure in a multi-user
environment.  There is a FAQ entry about this, though I don't know if
it still applies.

You won't be able to use any Windows GUI applications.  Something like
VNC <http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/> might be a better choice for
this reason.  It is also not secure OOTB, but this can be improved.
(Anything more is off-topic for this list.)

> I like cygwin, but I can not figure out the
> terminal settings. If I use a program like VI, and try to edit a file, it
> just sits there. I can put a line in, but I can not see whats in the file.

Does 'vim' work?

> And if I try to ssh to another box, I get this error message
> 
> Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
> Host key not found from the list of known hosts.
> You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read confirmation.

I use ssh both directions all the time and it works well enough for
me.  Have you installed all the right packages and followed the
instructions in the README files in /usr/doc/?

Regards,
David

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]