Subject: Re: set HOME environment
From: David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]>
To: Guansong Zhang <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:22:14 +0100

> --- Guansong Zhang <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I can do different things to make it work, but the right thing seems to let
> > cygwin system understand that when it converts path format it should put a \
> > before a space. So one can use set HOME=%USERPROFILE% in the .bat file. and
> > HOME *should* be considered a Window envrionment, right?

Personally, I don't agree that %USERPROFILE% is a good choice for
$HOME in Cygwin.  In any case, it's a matter of personal choice and
you can edit /etc/profile to change it.

That $USER may contain a space is another matter.  Adding quotes in
/etc/profile will permit HOME to be defined correctly, space and all,
but whenever $HOME is substituted, things are likely to break.  That's
why nobody would (intentionally) have USER/LOGNAME/HOME with an
embedded space in UNIX.  If you want Cygwin to work well, you have to
deal with this.

It's probably better in the long run if these windows users picked a
new, space-less USER and/or HOME variable and set that explicitly in
/etc/profile.

I'll try to add something to the FAQ about this.

Cheers,
David

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]