Subject: RE: problem with dynamic_cast
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:13:00 -0400

At 10:01 AM 9/8/2000, Kris Thielemans wrote:

> > Quite true.  -lm and -lc are not necessary with Cygwin.  The support for
> > them are in the Cygwin DLL/lib which is linked in automatically.  Linking
> > with it twice (or more) guarantees a crash.  The simple answer is, don't
> > us -lm or -lc with Cygwin.
> >
>
>Dear Larry,
>
>I don't think that's a viable solution. One of the important benefits  of
>cygwin is to be able to part programs from Unix to Windows. Now you might
>not be using numeric C++ packages, but lots of other people do. We do not
>want to go and change all Makefiles, do we ?
>
>Also, providing the patch would prevent other people having to waste 4 days
>with tracking the bug. Ok, somebody will have to waste time to install the
>patch of course, but I think in the end it's worth it, especially as I won't
>be the one installing the patch :-).
>
>Kris

Hi Kris,

Right now, there isn't a "patch".  That doesn't mean there won't be.  I'm
simply pointing out a work-around to your current problem in the meantime.
Your original example was so simple that this seemed like a viable one.  
Dealing with it in makefiles that already exist may be more of an issue.
Another option may be to simply create an empty libm.a library in place of the symlink (although I seem to recall some ancient discussion on this topic 
that swayed people away for this option.)  YMMV.

Of course, if you're interested in investigating the issue and providing
an appropriate patch, I'm sure it will be thoughtfully considered!:-)

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]