Subject: Re: i/o STOP + CONT (bash?) problem
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:07:10 -0400

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:54:51PM +1000, Benjamin Low wrote:
>Does anyone have trouble with START and STOP signals w/ cygwin? (cygwin
>1.1.3 distribution, on a W2k box) - in particular with bash?
>
>Details:
>
>If I issue a Ctrl-S (STOP) directly to bash within a terminal (W32 rxvt
>or X11R6 xterm), it's game over - there seems to be nothing I can do to
>restore output, even signalling the process externally doesn't help. If
>I send a STOP signal from another process (i.e. kill -STOP <bashpid>,
>not via Ctrl-S) and then CONT, it works as expected for W32 rxvt's but
>not for xterms (output pauses whilst STOPped, then CONTinues). Note that
>the process continues to run, just all tty output halts.

Um.  CTRL-S has nothing to do with the STOP signal.  Hitting CTRL-S
pauses any output.  CTRL-Q restarts it.  This is pretty standard
behavior for both Windows and UNIX.

So, hit CTRL-Q if you want stuff to start up again.

If you are referring to SIGSTOP (or more precisely SIGTSTP), then this is
usually invoked by hitting CTRL-Z.  This causes any running foreground
process to be stopped and usually causes the invoking shell to issue a
prompt.

In most shells that support this you start the program up again by
typing 'fg'.

This is typical behavior for both UNIX and Cygwin, however, under Cygwin,
for this to work reliably you need to use "tty" mode, i.e., the CYGWIN
environment variable needs to contain "tty" (without the quotes).

You should set this prior to starting any cygwin program, e.g.,

c:\>set CYGWIN=tty
c:\>bash

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]