Subject: Re: Problem using Cygwin on Windows 2000
From: "Tim Prince" <[email-masked]>
To: "Russell Hanneken" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Russell Hanneken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:12:59 -0700

I've been through many of  the variations too.  A further complication being
that I wanted to download the files on my employer's network, as we have
only 24k access on dial-up around here, and my laptop currently is not
authenticated for internet access at my employer except on W98.  So here's
the version which worked:

1.  complete installation from internet on W98 (download files only didn't
work)

2.  take laptop home, delete the W98 installation, run the internet
installation under W2K on the slow dial-up from the same cygwin temp
directory as before, logging in as myself but accepting the invitation to
install as administrator for myself only.

If you choose one of the versions which leads to /tmp not being found (that
will be the first of a series of problems), you can overcome it to some
extent by working on the paths, entering Control Panel/System by shift
right-click "Run As" Administrator.  Among other things, it is possible to
use the W98 installation under W2K to some extent.  There may be a better
ways but the only fully functioning one I found was as above.

I still have a personal vendetta about the way binutils are not configured
for 64-bit alignment under cygwin.  This leads to certain loops involving
64-bit data taking over 4 times as long as they should, both on my old P-II
and on the new P-III boxes.  Changing the ALIGNMENT parameter in i386-coff
in bfd corrects this, but gcc has to be rebuilt accordingly to get reliable
g++ operation.   W2K SP1 actually runs some benchmarks faster than linux
when these problems are corrected, but I suppose it's like breaking the ABI,
not something to be done lightly.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Hanneken" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2000 2:25 PM
Subject: Problem using Cygwin on Windows 2000

>
> To begin with, I'm using Windows 2000 Professional
> I used the setup.exe program to install all the usual packages.  When
asked,
> I said I wanted to install Cygwin for all users, not just the user
> installing Cygwin (the Administrator).
>
> When I run cygwin.bat as the Administrator, everything works perfectly.
>
> When I run cygwin.bat under a user account, I get the following message:
>
>      bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]