Subject: Cygwin Python Extensions (again)
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:26:40 -0400

Since there seems to be some recent Python related posts, I'll take another
crack at posting the following:

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 04:36:07PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> Has anyone been successful building extensions and/or patching a Cygwin
> version of Python to deal with DLLs instead of shared objects?  Is this
> another head banger activity?

May be if I provide some more information, I'll get some takers this time...

I have gleaned the following from very crude hacking that I have squeezed
in during five minute intervals over the last month:

    1. Cygwin Python configures to load extensions from .so and not .dll
       files (I guess because configure found Cygwin's dl* routines).

    2. I tried building Demo/extend/xxmodule.c (ie, the supplied extension
       sample) as a .so.  When I import it, Python complained that it is
       not a valid module (most likely I didn't build the .so correctly).

    3. I tried the really nasty hack of replacing Python/importdl.o with
       one that attempts to load extensions as DLLs (ie, I played with
       -D options until importdl.c compiled for native Win32 and then
       relinked -- yuck!) -- this attempt crashes the interpreter during
       an import of a prebuilt, known good, Win32 Python extension module.

Since I'm not that knowledgeable of .so files or the internals of Python
extensions and only somewhat knowledgeable of Windows DLLs, I'm looking
for some guidance.  Does anyone know if Cygwin Python extensions are
possible?  If so, should I attempt to build them as .so or .dll files?

Thanks,
Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]