Subject: Re: tar question
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Matt Minnis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:10:30 -0400

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 04:19:49PM -0500, Matt Minnis wrote:
> I am trying to make a tar volume & exclude the *.o & *.x files.
> 
> So I have added --exclude=*.o --exclude=*.x to the commandline.
> 
> This still gets the o & x files.
> 
> What am I doing wrong?  Is there a problem with cygwin causing this?

Are you explicitly listing the files to be excluded on the commandline?
If so, here is the problem (excerpt from info):

Problems with Using the `exclude' Options
-----------------------------------------

   Some users find `exclude' options confusing.  Here are some common
pitfalls:

   * The main operating mode of `tar' will always act on file names
     listed on the command line, no matter whether or not there is an
     exclusion which would otherwise affect them.  In the example
     above, if you create an archive and exclude files that end with
     `*.o', but explicitly name the file `catc.o' after all the options
     have been listed, `catc.o' *will* be included in the archive.

The above is just a guess, since you did not include your exact
commandline -- hope it helps.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]