Subject: Re: linespacing in less
From: Bob McGowan <[email-masked]>
To: Markus Hoenicka <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:44:03 -0700

Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> this is another tiny bit of teething pain after upgrading from B20.1 to
> the latest net release.
> 
> When I use less as a pager, I notice additional blank lines in all
> logical lines that extend the width of the terminal and thus have to
> be wrapped. E.g. a line longer than 80 chars and shorter than 160
> chars will be displayed as one full line, a blank line, and a line
> showing the rest.
> 
> This is different from what I used to see in B20.1 and different from
> what I see on Linux.
> 
> Is this again a text mount vs. binary mount issue? I have all mounts
> as binary just as the setup.exe created them and I set Unix as the
> default text format. I used to have text mounts in B20.1.
> 

Since the break is in the middle of the line, it is not likely a
text/binary issue.  Much more likely that there is a change in the
terminfo/termcap for your terminal type or that you have a mis-match
between the value in TERM and the actual emulator you are using.

Your terminal type as found in the TERM varialbe needs to match the
emulator (which could be cygwin, xterm, rxvt, ansi, etc).  If these
match, then I would suspect a problem/feature in the terminal database. 
You might try different terminal names to see how they work.  Using the
following command line will set the varialbe for 'less' but not change
the current value:

   TERM=ansi less file_with_long_line

Then set 'export TERM=working_version' in your .profile where
working_version is the working version you hopefully found.  By the way,
you would probably also want to try it with your editor (assuming you
use something like vi) to be sure the new TERM value works with it too.

I hope this helps.

-- 
Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]