Subject: Model directory tree
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:05:34 -0400

Hi,
 Where can I find a description of the "customary" and/or POSIX
assumptions about the basic directory tree?

 For example, man login says login will set the path
"/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin" [IIRC].  However, Cygwin mounts
"/usr/bin" at "/bin"  Both assume some meaning about why these might
be different - but I haven't figured it out yet.

 Likewise, should it be "/usr/XEmacs/bin/xemacs" or
"/usr/bin/XEmacs-21-4/xemacs" -- in other words product within bin
or bin within product or both? 

 Likewise also, I mount "/src" on a different partition.  Which is
more standard - "/src/${productname}/${something}" or perhaps
"/usr/${productname}/src" ?

 I know I saw a picture once in the POSIX.0 document, but I don't
have that around anymore.
-- 
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"Don't buy or use crappy software"
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man, 
 by my actions a great sinner" -- The Way of a Pilgrim [R. M.
French, tr.]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]