Subject: rpm 3.0.4: Can't "rpm -Uvh" my first rpm package (unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic)
From: "Matthew D. Langston" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:54:56 -0700

I am having problems installing my first rpm package under the Cygwin
environment.

I recently installed the latest standard cygwin packages (those that install
by default when running setup.exe and installing the latest packages from
the net).  The output from running "cygcheck -s -v -r" is attached to the
bottom of this email.

I next installed rpm 3.0.4 from
http://atlas.spaceports.com/~cygwin/rpm/rpm-3.0.4-cygwin.tar.gz, and set up
the rpm database using the following instructions:

1. "rpm --initdb" (from http://cygwin.cjb.net/)
2. "touch /etc/mtab" (from Chuck Wilson's post
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-07/msg01193.html)

Next, I ran "rpm -qa" just to make sure there were no error messages (there
weren't), and that the output showed that the rpm database was empty (it
was).

I then downloaded the RPM package that I wanted to install
(ftp://projects.sourceforge.net/pub/cygwin-rpm/packages/perl/perl-5.6.0-cygw
in1.1.rpm), into my home directory (i.e. /home/langston) which is mounted in
binmode:

$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
E:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
E:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
E:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode

However, when I tried to install the perl RPM, I received the following cpio
error:

$ rpm -Uvh perl-5.6.0-cygwin1.1.rpm
user martin1 does not exist - using root
[snip]
user martin1 does not exist - using root
perl                        ##unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic

The "user martin1 does not exist - using root" error message isn't pertinent
(FYI its a warning, and not an error, due to building the perl RPM slightly
improperly).

When I tried to install the perl RPM from the net, I received the same
error:

$ rpm -Uvh
ftp://projects.sourceforge.net/pub/cygwin-rpm/packages/perl/perl-5.6.0-cygwi
n1.1.rpm
user martin1 does not exist - using root
[snip]
user martin1 does not exist - using root
perl                        ##unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic

I also received the same cpio error message when tried to install other RPM
packages from the sourceforge link above (i.e. I tried autoconf and
automake).  I also tried just "installing" the RPMs using "rpm -i", but
received the same error message.

Can someone set me straight please?  Thank you :-)

--
Matthew D. Langston
SLD, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
[email-masked]
--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]