Subject: Re: sshd: multiple connections fail while drives are mounted
From: Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:44:59 +0200 (MDT)

* Corinna Vinschen
| Try using different drive letters for different users for testing
| purposes, please.

(Note that I'm not talking about using the same drive letter in
different ssh connections.  The issue is setting up a new ssh
connection itself while drives are mounted.)

Doesn't matter whether I use '*' (i.e. let NT decide about the drive
letter) or whether I use a specific (`free') drive letter: as soon as
the mount succeeds, I cannot login to a second ssh connection.  As
soon as I disconnect the drive, I can login via ssh again.

This is also true if I login on the NT GUI console which automatically
mounts some drives from the last session, and then try to connect to
the NT host via ssh:

    from UNIX: immediate `Connection closed by foreign host.'
 from NT/bash: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

When I disconnect the drive (either `net use' or GUI), I can login
again.

BUT.  It gets weirder.  `ssh' seems to work again as soon as I
disconnect _any_ drive.  I.e.

  GUI login -> mounts s:
  bash: ssh localhost
  ssh does not work
  GUI-> connect h:
  ssh does not work
  GUI-> disconnect h:
  ssh does work again

Right now I've shredded the NT box as a mere mortal (no admin rights!)
in a way that my own account and newly installed accounts do not
remember settings accross sessions.  I.e. each GUI login session
behaves as if it were the first time I log in.  All environment
settings gone, `Start' Menu entries gone, desktop shortcuts gone.
Geez, I *hate* NT.

| Try the following: Login interactively at the box using the GUI.
| Then create for example a net drive X: to some target:
| 
| 	net use X: \\foo\bar passwd /user:baz
| 
| Then open a local cmd or bash window and enter: `net use'
| 
| As an output you will see the drive X:.
| 
| Ok up to this point.
| 
| Now login AS THE SAME USER over ssh session.

This last login is what does not work in my setup (allow multiple
users) (when the machine still worked :-().

(NB: Again: it's not about specific drive letters.  I can handle getting
different drive letters by using the //host/dir notation quite easily
once a connection has been established (USER security level on the SMB
server).

Eg:  I mount drive x: to \\somehost\share1.
Now I can access //somehost/share1 in bash, no need for `x:'.  Plus,
with user mode security on `somehost', I can even access
//somehost/share2, though this was not explicitely mounted as network
drive.  If there was a way to make NT remember the password for a
given network connection without mounting a drive, things would be
easier.
)

I will come back to that issue as soon as the box is reinstalled :-/
R'

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]