Subject: Well, now I've really done it. [Was: Installation problems]
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>, Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 17:00:46 -0400

Thanks, all, for the help yesterday.  It gave me just enough
knowledge (or rope) to shoot both feet off completely!  

I'm quoting Earnie Boyd's reply to my original post. -- Not all in
order.

>> [two minutes later . . .] AHA!
>> Something needs to be changed, my "HOME"=/home/superbiskit where I 
>> mount E:\HOME /home.  But my cygcheck output went to
>> E:\HOME\superbiskit\'\home\superbiskit\.
> 
> I noticed that, where did that come from?  Everything else looked good.
>

It came from an incredible mental gap.  I had /quoted/ things in my
Cygwin.bat thus "SET HOME='/home/superbiskit'"  The single quotes
simply passed through to Cygwin which treated them as path nodes.  

--- Quoting (or paraphrasing) DJ:
>  What setup are you using?

Downloaded SETUP.EXE yesterday (G 2000-08-02) from Cygwin.  Internal 
Time Date Stamp = "39877dd0".
Used mirror at sunsite.utk.edu. 

--- From Earnie again, various corrections of the error messages I
reported.  

I went back and did it all again and wrote them down more
carefully.  Could have used a log (some future release). 

1) "error: unable to create symlink" 
  a) C://usr/include/mingw -> mingw32    
     Note- I had indicated a backslant -- it isn't.
  b) C://lib/libc.a        -> libcygwin.a
  c) C://lib/libg.a        -> libcygwin.a [!]
  d) C://lib/libm.a        -> libcygwin.a [!!]
  e) C://bin/awk.exe       -> gawk.exe
  f) C://lib/libstdc++.a   -> libstdc++.a.2.10.0

2) "tar: can't find %1 to link %2 to"
  a) usr/bin/c++.exe          C://bin/g++.exe
  b) usr/bin/gcc.exe          C://bin/i686-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe
  c) usr/bin/logger.exe       C://bin/syslog.exe
  d) usr/bin/ctags.exe        C://bin/etags.exe

Plus many many of both messages in the "vim" install - too many to
write down.

At the end "Can't open (null) for writing: \n No such file or
directory"

OK, here's the latest.

I thought (first error) that having my mounts textmode could be a
problem, so I changed them all to "mount -b -s -f"
Then I deleted _everything_ remotely related to the cygwin
installation except the "Mounts_V2" registry entries.  

I reran SETUP again - usually from <sunsite.utk.edu>, twice
<ygdrassl?>, once <freesoftware>.  That's many times.  When all has
been said and done, THERE IS NOTHING AT ALL IN /bin (or in /usr/bin,
or in any directory except /lib -- and that may be a leftover. 
Evidently, setup thinks all the current versions are still there! 
It didn't look to check. 

Now here is a real kicker -- nearly all of the same error messages
came up at the same points.  I think the complaints about the
/lib/libc.a did not.  SETUP cannot find the same things when it
shouldn't be able to find anything at all anywhere!

Just in case it could have been misplaced, I did a Windows FIND on
*ash.exe" which should have two or more hits.  It had none.  

This is like two squares before square one.  Obviously I need help.

>Cheers,
>
>=====
>---
>   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:[email-masked]>

Not much cheer today!

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]