Subject: Scary problem under w2k (random quotes in place of slashes)
From: Dmitry Yaitskov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Jul 2000 20:11:23 -0400

Hi,

There's a scary-looking problem that I started to see after I went
from NT to w2k. This happens when I build XEmacs - but I guess any
long build would do, XEmacs build is just something I regularly run.
What happens is, I run make, it churns for a while, but then it would
stop with an error like the following one:

gcc -c -g -O3 -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wmissing-prototypes -Wshadow  -Demacs -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wno-sign-compare -fno-caller-saves -I/usr/X11R6/include /usr/local/src/xemacs-21.2/src/process-unix.c
cpp.exe: /usr/local/src/xemacs-21.2'src/process-unix.c: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [process-unix.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xemacs-21.2/bld-debug/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

Note the quote instead of a slash in the error message. This happens
randomly, on different files, but it is always a quote before "src"
instead of a slash. Running make again would compile that file, but
eventually break with exact same error later. Building XEmacs usually
takes about 4-6 restarts of make, if run under rxvt. This also happens
in the "normal" cygwin bash window - but *much* less often. I have not
noticed any other random problems on my system (the most cpu-intensive
thing that I'm doing routinely is building large projects in Visual
C++ 6.0).

Any ideas on how to approach this? Anybody else seen something
similar? Thanks.

$uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 LUCY 1.1.2(0.21/3/2) 2000-06-06 22:20 i686 unknown

The system is a dual PII-400, running w2k professional.

-- 
Cheers,
-Dima.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]