Subject: Re: Instructions for rebuilding all the cygwin tools?
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:40:37 -0400

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 03:21:38PM -0700, Chris Telting wrote:
>> --- Chris Telting <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>Are there any instructions for rebuilding all the cygwin tools?  I mean
>>>everything in the "latest" directory.  Version B20.1 allowed it to be
>>>doe with a single make.  Anyone have experience rebuilding everything
>>>on their machine?
>>
>>Let me see if I understand you correctly.  You want to build Cygwin and
>>all of it's tools with one configure command and one make command is
>>that correct?  Or, do you want to just build Cygwin?
>
>I would like to build thw whole cygwin distribution in the "latest"
>directory with one "configuration" and one "make" at once.  I can
>manage to do each one by one and not without problems but I was
>wondering what I was missing.

There is no way to build everything at once.  That is not the way that
the distribution was made.  You've probably seen individual announcments
for individual packages, i.e., each piece was built individually.

Some pieces may fit together, like you may be able to drop gcc, gdb,
binutils, fileutils, and winsup into a directory and type
'configure/make' but you're going to run into problems because of the
various versions of Makefile.in, libiberty, and other common files and
directories that will be found in each directory.

>All I really want is the equivelent instructions found in the FAQ for
>b20.1 for rebuilding the tools.  Also links to get the tex2html and
>other tools which some of the packages need in order to do make install
>and so fourth.

The instructions are still generally correct for GNU packages.  Since
we're now including more stuff than the B20.1 net release and we
are no longer doing monolithic releases, there is no longer a
"one size fits all" set of instructions for rebuilding.

As far as finding tools, I'd suggest looking at ftp.gnu.org and
http://www.freshmeat.net/ .

>The simple and straightforward instuctions for compiling and setting up
>everything.  BTW does the "latest" directory even get a version number?

There are no simple instructions possible.  Sorry.

I don't know what you are referring to about latest but if you are asking
if the latest directory is somehow cygwin "B23" then the answer is "no".
We abandoned the monolithic versioning scheme several months ago.  The
cygwin DLL is version 1.1.2 (soon to be 1.1.3).  All of the other packages
have their own version numbers.

(FAQ ALERT)

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]