Subject: Re: instalation in other than c:\
From: "Kendall Bennett" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:08:27 -0800

DJ Delorie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > BTW, this brings up some points about the installer. Shouldn't the 
> > default installation stuff be stored in a global registry setting 
> > somewhere instead of the current user setting?
> 
> If you check the "all users" option in the root path dialog, it
> will install everything (registry, desktop, start menu) globally. 
> You *did* check that box, didn't you? 

Eh? You must be using a pre-release version of setup.exe, since the 
version I am using (downloaded late last week, and dated 7/13/2000 
10:37PM) simply asks me where to install from (current directory in 
my case as I use a mirror program to pull everything down), and then 
asks me where to put it all and that's it. It goes on directly and 
starts installing. 

If I *did* get this question I would definately have told it to do it 
for all users as I always do installations as Administrator 
specifically to ensure I flesh out problems other users will have 
when I try to use the apps myself from my own local account (even 
though my account has Administrator priveledges and could be used for 
the install).

> I'm not sure what the default should be, but I suspect that the
> right way would auto-detect if you had admin privs and select
> defaults accordingly. 

That would be a really good idea!

> > Or perhaps some 'user install' utility should be created to set this
> > up correctly for each user that wishes to use the shared Cygwin
> > installation?
> 
> We've thought about that, but better would be to fix mkpasswd so
> that it creates a globally usable password file. 

You mean one that would automatically merge both the local and domain 
passwords into a single file? That would be cool. Although in the 
interim an option in the installer would be nice as I think most 
users doing NT installs who use a network will need domain accounts.

Regards,

+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: [email-masked]    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]