Subject: Re: instalation in other than c:\
From: "Kendall Bennett" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: James Nord <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:51:40 -0800

James Nord <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As I installed the toolkit under c:\cygwin and not c:\ I get
> various errors. 

I installed under c:\unix and it works OK. However...

> >bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

It sounds like you did what I did, and installed Cygwin as 
Administrator on your NT box (mine is Win2K), and then tried to use 
it as a regular user on the system. There are a couple of problems 
with this that I sorted out manually:

 1. You need to create the necessary registry entries to tell Cygwin 
where to mount the root partition of the Unix file system. This lives 
under '\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions'. I exported this 
registry key to a file from my Administrator account, and then 
imported this into my user account and got it working. I assume you 
will need to do the same for all users on the system.

 2. The user id will be wrong when you finally get Cygwin going, as 
it will think you are still the Administrator (based on what is in 
/etc/passwd). The solution I used was to re-create the /etc/passwd 
and /etc/group files based on our NT domain as follows:

 mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd
 mkgroup -d > /etc/passwd

The default is to normally to get this from the local machine login, 
but any good NT install using domains will only have a local 
Administrator account and all user accounts will be on the domain 
controller instead. The install IMHO should have the option of 
getting user account information from the domain controller and not 
the local accounts as that would be very useful for a lot of users 
IMHO.

BTW, this brings up some points about the installer. Shouldn't the 
default installation stuff be stored in a global registry setting 
somewhere instead of the current user setting? Or perhaps some 'user 
install' utility should be created to set this up correctly for each 
user that wishes to use the shared Cygwin installation?

Regards,

+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: [email-masked]    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]