Subject: Re: cygwin software development tools
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:00:23 -0800

On 19 Jul 00, at 16:46, the Illustrious Richard Wong wrote:

> I am looking for two text editors 'emacs' and 'vi' and two system
> commands 'cat' and 'more'.

	Assuming you are using a Win32 based platform, you can get cat 
from the following site...

	http://www.weihenstephan.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html

	Not sure why I haven't seen it at the Cygwin site.  cat.exe is 
part of the UnxUtils.zip package which includes a number of 
utilities such as cp, cmp, etc. for Win32 based platforms.  
There is also a recent update there called UnxUpdates.zip which 
includes utilities dated as modified on June 6, 2000.

	vi and emacs are not part of the .zip files noted.  Someone 
mentioned using google.com to find the rest...I say go for it.  
Search for "vi for windows", or "emacs for windows" (both exist 
as I have installed them both at one time or another on my Win32 
based platforms).  This was before ntemacs was available.
	As I recall, the latest release of ntemacs and Perl 
(ActivePerl) both have versions of vi, either as links or 
precompiled binaries included in their respective downloads.

	Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]