Subject: Re: Where to put profile files?
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Randall Parker" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:28:21 -0400

At 02:13 PM 7/18/2000, Randall Parker wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:16:49 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
> >I believe many of your questions about what bash does can be answered by 
> >looking at the bash man and info pages.  Its a good place to start for 
> >information concerning the configuration of bash.
>
>Larry,
>I've looked at those pages. I also have the O'Reilly book Learning The Bash Shell. I've read the relevant 
>passages there too. I spent many hours pounding on these problems before posting here. I also have various 
>Unix and Linux books that I looked in too.

Well that's good.  It sounds like you've been looking in the right areas 
for help.

> >As for the question of which "etc" directory will be referenced, that
> >would be /etc.
>
>Except when it doesn't work.

OK, maybe I missed something in your post but I didn't get the impression
that you knew where the "profile" file should be in order to have it work.
This is why I stated where it should be so there would be no confusion.
Perhaps the confusion was on my side.

> >  If you're not sure which Windows path corresponds to /, 
> >look at the output of the mount command.  It will tell you.
>
>Well, since mount reports this for device and directory:
>    j:\prg\cygwin       /
>  that leads me to believe that 
>    j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile 
>  ought to be what works for me. 

I agree.

>However, I've put stuff in the profile file in that path and it didn't have any effect. Copied that file to be .bashrc 
>file in my HOME directory and that same alias statement then worked in .bashrc.

Hm, that's interesting.  I have no problems with this.  Could be a 
text/binary file thing but it doesn't sound like it (necessarily) if the
same thing works in .bashrc.  Perhaps the best thing to do is post your
cygcheck output.  Your problem is most likely a configuration issue but
its not obvious from the information you've given so far.

>Can one not do an alias statement in profile? 

Never tried it but I can't imagine why that would be the case.

Larry

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]