Subject: Help - B2.02 Under Nt 4.0 SP5 (sygwin1.dll) internal process tabl e and ps.exe
From: "Parsons, Jim" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Canning, Mark" <[email-masked]>, "Lawrence, Andrew" <[email-masked]>, "Murgatroyd, David (Progressive)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:51:41 +0100

Hi,

We are currently running bash 2.02 under Windows Nt 4.0 Service pack 5 and
CYGWIN1.dll. We appear to have a problem
with bash commands hanging. 

Under further investigation we found that the internal bash "Process table"
contained 60+ processes by using the "ps -al" command.
This command lists both the "WINPIDS and Bash's own PID" and from looking at
this list, they were only about 25 processes which were 
actual processes. 

If we issued the command "ps | wc -l" continuously then after about 3
iterations, the process would hang. This would have 
an knock on effect in that any processes that use any bash commands would
just hang as well. When we killed the offending process,
everything continued ok.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have split the "ps -al" command into 2 sections. The first being process
that have an NT process ID and the second are the ones without.
This list is not the one with 60+ processes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
       PID     PPID     PGID   WINPID  UID TTY    STIME COMMAND
      1027     1005     1005      347  500  -1 13:35:58
//D/utils/bash2/sh.exe
      1031     1000     1000      343  500  -1 13:35:58
//D/utils/bash2/sh.exe
      1020     1020     1020      336  500  -1 13:35:57
//d/utils/bash2/bash.exe
      1035     1027     1005      360  500  -1 13:35:58
//d/progress/bin/_progres.exe
      1036     1031     1000      362  500  -1 13:35:58
//d/progress/bin/_progres.exe
      1054     1017     1012      342  500  -1 13:36:01
//D/utils/bash2/sh.exe
      1063     1054     1012      354  500  -1 13:36:01
//d/progress/bin/_progres.exe
      1064     1020     1020      337  500  -1 13:36:02
//D/utils/bash2/sh.exe
      1067     1064     1020      130  500  -1 13:36:02
//d/progress/bin/_progres.exe
      1069        1     1012      299  500  -1 13:36:17
//D/utils/bash2/sh.exe
      1087     1069     1012      304  500  -1 13:36:20
//D/utils/bash2/sh.exe
      1096     1087     1012      374  500  -1 13:36:20
//d/progress/bin/_progres.exe
      1000     1000     1000      294  500  -1 13:35:54
//d/utils/bash2/bash.exe
      1005     1005     1005      312  500  -1 13:35:55
//d/utils/bash2/bash.exe
      1017        1     1012      321  500  -1 13:35:57
//D/utils/bash2/sh.exe

      1813     1813     1813        0  500  -1 14:42:00
//D/utils/bash2/cygcheck.exe
      1814     1814     1814        0  500  -1 14:42:09
//D/utils/bash2/cygcheck.exe
      1815     1815     1815        0  500  -1 14:42:29
//D/utils/bash2/cygcheck.exe
      1689     1689     1689        0  500  -1 14:40:18
//d/utils/bash2/ls.exe
      1819     1819     1819        0  500  -1 14:43:26
//D/utils/bash2/cygcheck.exe
      1696     1696     1696        0  500  -1 14:40:56
//D/utils/bash2/sync.exe
      1102     1102     1102        0  500  -1 13:38:07
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1103     1103     1103        0  500  -1 13:38:07
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1104     1104     1104        0  500  -1 13:38:08
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1105     1105     1105        0  500  -1 13:38:08
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1106     1106     1106        0  500  -1 13:38:09
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1107     1107     1107        0  500  -1 13:38:09
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1108     1108     1108        0  500  -1 13:38:10
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1109     1109     1109        0  500  -1 13:38:10
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1110     1110     1110        0  500  -1 13:38:11
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1111     1111     1111        0  500  -1 13:38:11
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1112     1112     1112        0  500  -1 13:38:12
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1113     1113     1113        0  500  -1 13:38:12
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1114     1114     1114        0  500  -1 13:38:12
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1115     1115     1115        0  500  -1 13:38:12
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1116     1116     1116        0  500  -1 13:38:13
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1117     1117     1117        0  500  -1 13:38:13
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1118     1118     1118        0  500  -1 13:38:14
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1119     1119     1119        0  500  -1 13:38:14
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1120     1120     1120        0  500  -1 13:38:15
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1121     1121     1121        0  500  -1 13:38:15
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1122     1122     1122        0  500  -1 13:38:15
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1123     1123     1123        0  500  -1 13:38:15
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1125     1125     1125        0  500  -1 13:38:16
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1127     1127     1127        0  500  -1 13:39:19
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1407     1407     1407        0  500  -1 13:45:05
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      2053     2053     2053        0  500  -1 15:26:17
//d/utils/bash2/cygcheck.exe
      2058     2058     2058        0  500  -1 15:34:03
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1129     1129     1129        0  500  -1 13:39:41
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1387     1387     1387        0  500  -1 13:43:02
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1388     1388     1388        0  500  -1 13:43:02
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1390     1390     1390        0  500  -1 13:43:03
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1391     1391     1391        0  500  -1 13:43:03
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1392     1392     1392        0  500  -1 13:43:03
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1393     1393     1393        0  500  -1 13:43:03
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1781     1781     1781        0  500  -1 14:41:26
//D/utils/bash2/pwd.exe
      1398     1398     1398        0  500  -1 13:43:05
//d/utils/bash2/ps.exe
      1399     1399     1399        0  500  -1 13:43:05
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe
      1402     1402     1402        0  500  -1 13:43:37
//d/utils/bash2/wc.exe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also done a "cygcheck -s -r -v" output and here is the results.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Mon Jul 17 15:26:41 2000

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 5

Path:   /WINNT/system32
	/WINNT
	//d/apps/instore/dll
	//d/apps/instore/bin
	//d/utils/bash2
	//d/progress
	//d/progress/bin
	.
	//d/apps/instore/gbaddress
	//D/apps/solvese

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

!C: = `C:\tmp'
!EXITCODE = `00000000'
COMPUTERNAME = `SRICK9999'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
GBPATH = `d:\apps\instore\gbaddress'
HOMEDRIVE = `C:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
IS_ADMIN = `d:\apps\instore\admin'
IS_BACKUP = `d:\apps\is_backup'
IS_BIN = `d:\apps\instore\bin'
IS_ENVIRONMENT = `-ininame d:\apps\instore\startup\environ.ini'
IS_GENERIC_DEBUG = `NO'
IS_INVMVT = `d:\apps\instore\ftp\isrecv\invmvt'
IS_ISRECV = `d:\apps\instore\ftp\isrecv'
IS_ISSEND = `d:\apps\instore\ftp\ISSEND'
IS_JBASE = `d:\apps\instore\as400'
IS_LBASE = `d:\apps\instore\data'
IS_LOG = `d:\apps\instore\admin\instore.log'
IS_NTSERVER = `\\SRICK9999'
IS_PRC = `d:\apps\instore\procs'
IS_REL = `1.00'
IS_ROOT = `d:\apps\instore'
IS_SOLVEIP1 = `10.33.2.152'
IS_SOLVEIP2 = `10.33.2.152'
IS_SOLVEPT1 = `7005'
IS_SOLVEPT2 = `7001'
IS_SOLVEPT3 = `7002'
IS_SOLVEPT4 = `7003'
IS_SOLVEPT5 = `7004'
IS_STATEFILE = `d:\apps\instore\admin\state'
IS_SYSTEM = `d:\apps\instore\system'
IS_TBASE = `d:\apps\instore\training'
IS_TEMP = `d:\apps\is_temp'
LOGONSERVER = `\\DC10'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0703'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
PWRCHUTE = `C:\Program Files\Pwrchute'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINNT'
TEMP = `C:\TEMP'
TMP = `C:\TEMP'
USERDOMAIN = `STORENET'
USERNAME = `administrator'
USERPROFILE = `C:\WINNT\Profiles\administrator.000'
WINDIR = `C:\WINNT'
TERM = `cygwin'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `\\.\tape1:'
  unix = `/dev/st1'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
  (default) = `\\.\tape0:'
  unix = `/dev/st0'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
  (default) = `\\.\b:'
  unix = `/dev/fd1'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
  (default) = `\\.\a:'
  unix = `/dev/fd0'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000001
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
  (default) = `C:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1D

a:\ fd  FAT        1Mb  70% CP    UN           
c:\ hd  NTFS    2000Mb  38% CP CS UN PA FC     System
d:\ hd  NTFS    5672Mb  22% CP CS UN PA FC     Apps
e:\ hd  NTFS    1000Mb   1% CP CS UN PA FC     Mgr
z:\ cd           N/A    N/A                    

C:          /         native  text!=binary
\\.\a:      /dev/fd0  native  text!=binary
\\.\b:      /dev/fd1  native  text!=binary
\\.\tape0:  /dev/st0  native  text!=binary
\\.\tape1:  /dev/st1  native  text!=binary

Found: d:\utils\bash2\bash.exe
Found: d:\utils\bash2\cat.exe
Not Found: cpp (good!)
Found: d:\utils\bash2\find.exe
Not Found: gcc
Not Found: gdb
Not Found: ld
Found: d:\utils\bash2\ls.exe
Not Found: make
Found: d:\utils\bash2\sh.exe

  446k 1998/12/03 d:\utils\bash2\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
		  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/4 4:39
Use -h to see help about each section

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please can anybody give any information why bash's internal process table
contains processes that are no
longer running and why it might hang any bash commands.

Please send any communications to the following email addresses:
	[email-masked] 
	[email-masked]

Thanks in advance

Jim Parsons.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]