Subject: Re: Rules for building apps [was Re: runtime failure in 20000710 and 20000711 snapshots]
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:17:24 -0400

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 02:18:06PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>[cross-posted to cygwin-apps]
>
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> >
>> >Is it expected that programs/dlls compiled with the new (20000711 and
>> >later) libcygwin.a will fail with older installations?
>> 
>> If by "older installations" you mean "snapshots after 1.1.2", then yes.
>
>Yes, that is what I meant.
>
>Thank you for the detailed explanation. I read the cygwin-developer
>archives, but sometimes for us "outsiders" the forest gets hidden by the
>trees.
>
>> Throughout all of this, however, I expect that executables built in the
>> last two years will still work correctly with any snapshot.  That's my
>> goal for 1.1.3, at least.  I also expect that when 1.1.3 is released,
>> executables linked with libcygwin.a will work correctly with 1.1.2.
>> They just will not be able to take advantage of some new functionality
>> in 1.1.3.
>
>So, if I'm compiling a library or application that will be included in
>'latest' or 'contrib' on sourceware, I should follow these rules:

The rule is really simple.

Don't build applications for public use with snapshots.

I always use the last released version of cygwin and gcc to build my
stuff.

If you use snapshots you have no idea what dependencies you're introducing
into the executables.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]