Subject: Re: cannot see contents of mounted drive
From: Peter Schröder <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Cc: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:33:45 -0400

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Better: Create /etc/passwd and /etc/group by using the tools
> mkpasswd and mkgroup and change it according to your needs

I played with this this morning, but it appears more and more that this is not a
permissions issue. To wit: I can do "cat" and "less" and other such utilities on that file
system just fine

This morning I dug deeper with a local NT and a UNIX guru and it looks like this is not a
permission problem after all, but possibly a compatibility problem with our NetApp server.
For example, if I mount a file system from some other NT machine, I can do ls just fine. In
fact, if that file system is mounted as a different user, I can do ls just fine. This
strongly indicates (we think) that this is not a permission problem. We do know the
following about the NetApp. It exports the file system as a FAT. I am trying to locate
another Windows FAT to see whether this is a FAT vs. NTFS problem. We are trying an
experiment with setting up a NTFS export on the NetApp to see whether that works. We also
know that an older version of cygwin (b20) installed December 98 works fine with our NetApp
(with a FAT export from the NetApp).

So, all of this points to some change in cygwin that makes its relationship with NetApp (or
perhaps FAT?) troublesome.

Does anyone have experience with the latest cygwin interacting with a NetApp? What about
NTFS versus FAT?

Peter

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]