Subject: Re: Cygnus + VIM
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: Shiv Kumar <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin <[email-masked]>, Vim Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 21:08:11 +0200

Shiv Kumar wrote:

> I am happy that the latest release is bundled with Cygwin version of VIM.
> Way to go!
> 
>   1. Why do we have these two files, vi.exe and vim.exe in the /bin directory?
>      Is there any difference between the two.

Try ":version" in each of them.  Perhaps one is a small version and the other
has more features enabled?

>   2. If I try to run another VIM script (eg matchit.vim) using :source command
>      inside VIM or in _vimrc file, it complains about trailing ^M characters.
>      But I dont see any ^M chars in that file.

Check the 'fileformat' option.  If it's (automatically) set to "dos", it means
the lines end in CR-LF.  You can remove them by setting 'fileformat' to "unix"
and writing the file.

>   3. Some of my map commands does not work. Eg, :map <C-Q> :q!<CR> does not
>   work when I press CTRL+q. Similarly <C-S> also does not work.

Hmm, perhaps some other mapping gets in the way?  Or the cygwin terminal eats
the CTRL-Q and CTRL-S keys (often used for terminal flow control).

>   4. Any file with :syntax on is very hard to read with a black background.
>   The colors were all decent when I used Win32 version of VIM. Where does
>      cygwin-vim pick sytax coloring from?

Check the 'background' option.  Perhaps it's not set to "dark".  If you do set
it to "dark", do "syntax on" again to reset the color defaults.

-- 
hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
170. You introduce your wife as "[email-masked]" and refer to your
     children as "forked processes."

///  Bram Moolenaar     [email-masked]     http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
\\\  Vim: http://www.vim.org      ICCF Holland: http://iccf-holland.org  ///

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]