Subject: Re: Running a NT program from cygwin
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "Tom M. Yeh" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:13:48 -0400

Tom,

"Tom M. Yeh" wrote:

> It works if I
> place $(cygpath -w $(shell pwd)), but I don't like the platform dependency.
> I can add if/else/endif, but...

This is exactly what we do -- I don't see anyway around this.  It is
certainly much better than trying to maintain two makefiles -- one for
UNIX (ie, GNU make) and one for Windows (ie, Microsoft nmake).

> Any hint, why does the problem, I mentioned, happen?

Your "problem" is due to non-Cygwin apps (eg, cl) do not understand
Cygwin constructs such as mount points, symlinks, etc.  The way to
map back and forth is cygpath.

> Invoke: e /usr/include/stdio.h -> FAIL, c:\cygwin\usr\usr\include\stdio.h is

My guess would be that e is actually trying to open

    c:\usr\include\stdio.h

and not

    c:\cygwin\usr\usr\include\stdio.h

This is because the Win32 CreateFile and open *can* deal with forward
slashes but will use the current drive letter for absolute paths if
none is supplied.

I refer you to the "Mapping path names" section of the Cygwin User's
Guide:

    http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#MOUNT-TABLE

for more information.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]