Subject: Re: Compiling in source trees
From: Gilles-Claude Rajaobelina <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:29:09 +0200

Chris Faylor wrote:

> Oh, we just love to screw you up and mess with your mind.  Didn't you know
> that?

:))
I am not opening a flame of whatsoever. I never build in source trees as I
said. The lndir command is just a convenient way for my personnal habits to
build things as if I were in the source tree. I was just surprised that it
didnt work this time. No sweat, I' m doing now as recommended.

    mkdir build && cd build && lndir /path/to/source && ./configure && make

work for all GNU stuffs, KDE, GNOME, GIMP, XEMACS to name a few. In fact,
building some packages does fail if I am not in in the very source tree.
Beside that, setting VPATH may become very tricky in some situations, for
example when the source tree resides on a remote read-only filesystem AND I
have to make modifications in Foo.x, I must copy Foo.x locally anyway, and if
Foo.x contains many things like

#include "bar"
#include "xx"

I may end up copying locally tons of files from source area or use lndir when
tired of messages like

cannot include xxx, file not found

Happy day

Oh, in the mean time, my first (in fact second since using lndir just failed)
build of winsup has just finished with only minor error.

cp faq_toc.html faq.html
/bin/sh: texi2html: command not found
cp: faq_toc.html: No such file or directory
make[2]: [faq.html] Error 1 (ignored)
texi2html -I/src/CYGWIN/winsup/src/winsup/doc
/src/CYGWIN/winsup/src/winsup/doc/readme.texinfo
/bin/sh: texi2html: command not found
make[2]: [readme.html] Error 127 (ignored)
make[2]: Leaving directory `/obj/winsup/src/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/doc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/obj/winsup/src/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup'
make: Leaving directory `/obj/winsup/src'
real 1935.59
user 690.70
sys 764.14

I love cygwin

--
Gilles-Claude Rajaobelina \\\///    | mailto:[email-masked] |
GNU'ries                  (o  o)    | http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gcr \\\///      |
                       oOO--(_)--OOo| Tel:(33)01.xx.xx.xx.xx      (o  o)      |
78340 Les Clayes sous Bois, FRANCE  | Fax:(33)01.xx.xx.xx.xx  oOO--(_)--OOo   |

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]