Subject: Syncing Cygwin and GNU sources and some performance issue
From: Gilles-Claude Rajaobelina <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:53:29 +0200

Hi all,
as Corinna Vinschen rightly suggested, I' m redirecting my questions to
the mailing list, so here they are.
I am a retired developper and as such, do portings as a hobby on my pc
box at home, and occasionnally submit bug reports to the free software
community.
Because I' m rich (plenty of free time), I' ve always tried to install
most of software I use from sources, and here come some problems. As I'
ve noticed your coordinates in the ChangeLogs.Cygnus file of fileutils
package, I'm wondering if you could indicate me some tips about *.exe
issues (I suppose), which make some tests fail when I tried to build
fileutils-4.0:

$ make -w && make -w check && make -w install

../..

Making check in install
make[4]: Entering directory `/obj/tests/install'
make  check-TESTS
make[5]: Entering directory `/obj/tests/install'
../../src/ginstall: `../../src/dd' and `dir/dd' are the same file
../../src/ls: dir/dd: No such file or directory
FAIL: basic-1

../..

More important, performance issues arise in some situations that make
cygwin almost unusable: when accessing files thru SAMBA (at least on my
particular environment). Following are the time it takes to list the
root directory of the remote machine (linux 2.2.15 running SAMBA 2.0.7
with NT drives SMBFS mounted), using different tools.

        (1)     (2)     (3)     (4)    (5)
real | 1.70 | 187.70 | 357.27 | 0.45 | 0.68
user | 0.05 |   0.04 |   0.10 | 0.00 | 0.00
sys  | 0.19 |   0.05 |   0.28 | 0.02 | 0.02

(1) As I have no idea of the equivalent of unix time command under NT, I
used at command prompt:

dir /N /-C /A L:\|f:\bin\time -p /bin/cat -

(2) This is what M$ "unix utilities" give. Not sure but I think that
it's MKS port of fileutils.

f:\bin\time -p /C/C-opt/fsu/shell/ls -la L:

(3) This is with cygwin-1.1.2

/bin/time -p /bin/ls -la $(cygpath -u L:)

(4) This is run on the Linux box.

time -p ls -la /

(5) Linux again accessing an smbfs mounted NT directory. The ls command
is run twice to account for equivalent number of entries in previous
examples. SAMBA overhead seems minimal.

time -p sh -c 'set -x && ls -la /VM/C/  2>/dev/null; ls -la /VM/C/
2>/dev/null'

I would greatly appreciate if you could have some comments about where I

should investigate for bottleneck in the following directions:

- cygwin1
- fileutils
- samba
- VMware (*)

(*) Windows NT is running in a virtual machine hosted in a Linux box.
Attached are console ouputs.

Regards

--
Gilles-Claude Rajaobelina \\\///    | mailto:[email-masked] |
GNU'ries                  (o  o)    | http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gcr \\\///      |
                       oOO--(_)--OOo| Tel:(33)01.xx.xx.xx.xx      (o  o)      |
78340 Les Clayes sous Bois, FRANCE  | Fax:(33)01.xx.xx.xx.xx  oOO--(_)--OOo   |

C:\>dir /N /-C /A L:\|f:\bin\time -p /bin/cat -
 Le volume dans le lecteur L s'appelle NT
 Le numéro de série du volume est 1427-00E6

Répertoire de L:\

20/06/00  17:06         <DIR>          .
20/06/00  17:06         <DIR>          ..
09/05/99  22:05         <DIR>          lost+found
18/06/00  12:49                 837347 vmlinuz
27/12/99  02:05                1031465 vmlinuz.~1~
30/12/99  11:12                 903903 vmlinuz.~2~
30/12/99  22:39                 769671 vmlinuz.~3~
20/06/00  22:35         <DIR>          boot
13/06/00  16:47         <DIR>          opt
17/06/00  22:52         <DIR>          usr
21/06/00  00:14         <DIR>          dev
21/06/00  12:23         <DIR>          etc
21/06/00  12:23         <DIR>          tmp
23/08/99  18:06         <DIR>          var
21/06/00  00:54         <DIR>          proc
16/04/00  13:05         <DIR>          bin
17/04/00  01:34         <DIR>          home
26/04/00  21:42         <DIR>          lib
18/06/00  19:28         <DIR>          mnt
20/06/00  16:48         <DIR>          root
18/06/00  12:40         <DIR>          sbin
09/05/99  20:57         <DIR>          .gnome
09/05/99  20:57         <DIR>          .gnome_private
28/04/96  07:47         <DIR>          shlib
10/10/99  01:04         <DIR>          floppy
19/09/99  15:40                     74 .rhosts
24/09/99  11:46         <DIR>          ism
18/01/00  22:26         <DIR>          VM
13/05/99  00:16         <DIR>          mozilla
13/05/99  09:22                     14 desktop
14/05/99  12:01         <DIR>          private
28/12/99  11:48         <DIR>          NT
19/06/00  23:27                   6590 .bash_history
23/01/00  10:36         <DIR>          netscape
20/06/00  22:55         <DIR>          GM
29/05/99  14:05                      2 #fstab#
19/06/00  17:13         <DIR>          obj
10/10/99  06:06                    125 187.hosts
22/05/00  15:08         <DIR>          local
17/06/00  22:32         <DIR>          MANDRAKE
24/11/99  05:34         <DIR>          misc
09/11/99  00:37         <DIR>          tftpboot
25/04/00  15:02         <DIR>          vmware-linux-tools
14/04/00  15:32         <DIR>          ISO
08/01/00  20:18                    642 509.hosts
27/02/00  11:38                    151 liprefs.js
20/04/00  13:45                     32 .saves-213-localhost.localdomain
16/05/00  00:18         <DIR>          export
04/01/00  22:37                 615960 vmlinuz.~4~
              49 fichier(s)          4165976 octets
                              65437696 octets libres
real 1.70
user 0.05
sys 0.19

C:\>

C:\>f:\bin\time -p /C/C-opt/fsu/shell/ls -la L:\
total 8146
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          2 May 29  1999 #fstab#
drwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 Jun 20 17:06 .
drwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 Jun 20 17:06 ..
-rwhrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root       6590 Jun 19 23:27 .bash_history
drwhrwxrwx   3 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 May  9  1999 .gnome
drwhrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 May  9  1999 .gnome_private
-rwhrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root         74 Sep 19  1999 .rhosts
-rwhrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root         32 Apr 20 13:45 .saves-213-localhost.localdomain
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root        125 Oct 10  1999 187.hosts
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root        642 Jan  8 19:18 509.hosts
drwxrwxrwx   5 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 20 22:55 GM
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Apr 14 15:32 ISO
drwxrwxrwx   7 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 Jun 17 22:32 MANDRAKE
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Dec 28 10:48 NT
drwxrwxrwx  10 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 Jan 18 21:26 VM
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Apr 16 13:05 bin
drwxrwxrwx   4 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 20 22:35 boot
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root         14 May 13  1999 desktop
drwxrwxrwx   7 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 21 00:14 dev
drwxrwxrwx  57 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 21 12:23 etc
drwxrwxrwx   3 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 May 16 00:18 export
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Oct 10  1999 floppy
drwxrwxrwx   6 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Apr 17 01:34 home
drwxrwxrwx   5 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\kmem          0 Sep 24  1999 ism
drwxrwxrwx   4 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Apr 26 21:42 lib
-rwxrwxrwa   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\disk        151 Feb 27 10:38 liprefs.js
drwxrwxrwx  24 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 May 22 15:08 local
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 May  9  1999 lost+found
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Nov 24  1999 misc
drwxrwxrwx  15 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 18 19:28 mnt
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 May 13  1999 mozilla
drwxrwxrwx   5 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\kmem          0 Jan 23 09:36 netscape
drwxrwxrwx  19 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 Jun 19 17:13 obj
drwxrwxrwx  45 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 Jun 13 16:47 opt
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\kmem          0 May 14  1999 private
dr-xr-xr-x  92 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 21 00:54 proc
drwxrwxrwx  22 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 20 16:48 root
drwxrwxrwx   5 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 18 12:40 sbin
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Apr 28  1996 shlib
drwxrwxrwx   3 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Nov  8  1999 tftpboot
drwxrwxrwx  17 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Jun 21 12:23 tmp
drwxrwxrwx  24 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk          0 Jun 17 22:52 usr
drwxrwxrwx  28 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root          0 Aug 23  1999 var
-rwxrwxrwa   1 MYLINUX\raja    MYLINUX\disk     837347 Jun 18 12:49 vmlinuz
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root    1031465 Dec 27 01:05 vmlinuz.~1~
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root     903903 Dec 30 10:12 vmlinuz.~2~
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root     769671 Dec 30 21:39 vmlinuz.~3~
-rwxrwxrwx   1 MYLINUX\root    MYLINUX\root     615960 Jan  4 21:37 vmlinuz.~4~
drwxrwxrwx   2 MYLINUX\unix_user.201 MYLINUX\unix_group.201       0 Apr 25 15:02 vmware-linux-tools
real 187.70
user 0.04
sys 0.05

$ /bin/time -p /bin/ls -la $(cygpath -u L:)
total 2047
-rwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           2 May 29  1999 #fstab#
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 20 15:06 .
drwxr-xr-x  19 gcr      Aucun        8192 Jun 11 22:55 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun        6590 Jun 19 21:27 .bash_history
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 May  9  1999 .gnome
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 May  9  1999 .gnome_private
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun          74 Sep 19  1999 .rhosts
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun          32 Apr 20 11:45 .saves-213-localhost.localdomain
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun         125 Oct 10  1999 187.hosts
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun         642 Jan  8 18:18 509.hosts
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 20 20:55 GM
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Apr 14 13:32 ISO
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 17 20:32 MANDRAKE
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Dec 28 09:48 NT
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jan 18 20:26 VM
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Apr 16 11:05 bin
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 20 20:35 boot
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun          14 May 13  1999 desktop
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 20 22:14 dev
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 21 10:23 etc
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 May 15 22:18 export
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Oct  9  1999 floppy
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Apr 16 23:34 home
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 24  1999 ism
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Apr 26 19:42 lib
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun         151 Feb 27 09:38 liprefs.js
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 May 22 13:08 local
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 May  9  1999 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Nov 24  1999 misc
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 18 17:28 mnt
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 May 12  1999 mozilla
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jan 23 08:36 netscape
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 19 15:13 obj
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 13 14:47 opt
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 May 14  1999 private
dr-xr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 20 22:54 proc
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 20 14:48 root
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 18 10:40 sbin
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Apr 28  1996 shlib
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Nov  8  1999 tftpboot
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 21 10:23 tmp
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 17 20:52 usr
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Aug 23  1999 var
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun      837347 Jun 18 10:49 vmlinuz
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun     1031465 Dec 27 00:05 vmlinuz.~1~
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun      903903 Dec 30 09:12 vmlinuz.~2~
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun      769671 Dec 30 20:39 vmlinuz.~3~
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun      615960 Jan  4 20:37 vmlinuz.~4~
drwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Apr 25 13:02 vmware-linux-tools
real 357.27
user 0.10
sys 0.28
$ 
$ telnet mylinux
Trying 192.168.252.1...
Connected to mylinux.
Escape character is '^]'.
Welcome to mylinux
Linux Mandrake release 7.0 (Air)
Kernel 2.2.15 on an i686
login: raja
Password:
Warning: your password will expire in -305 days
Last login: Tue Jun 20 22:58:00 on tty1
Linux 2.2.14-15mdk.

raja@mylinux:/home/raja >
$ time -p ls -la /
total 4220
-rw-------   1 root     root            2 May 29  1999 #fstab#
drwxr-xr-x  35 raja     disk         1024 Jun 20 17:06 .
drwxr-xr-x  35 raja     disk         1024 Jun 20 17:06 ..
-rw-------   1 root     root         6590 Jun 19 23:27 .bash_history
drwx------   3 root     root         1024 May  9  1999 .gnome
drwx------   2 root     root         1024 May  9  1999 .gnome_private
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           74 Sep 19  1999 .rhosts
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           32 Apr 20 13:45 .saves-213-localhost.localdomain
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           11 Apr 21 14:32 .xinitrc -> //.Xclients
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          125 Oct 10  1999 187.hosts
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          642 Jan  8 20:18 509.hosts
drwxr-xr-x   5 root     root            0 Jun 20 22:55 GM
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Apr 14 15:32 ISO
drwxr-xr-x   7 raja     disk         1024 Jun 17 22:32 MANDRAKE
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Dec 28 11:48 NT
drwxr-xr-x  10 raja     disk         1024 Jan 18 22:26 VM
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         2048 Apr 16 13:05 bin
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         2048 Jun 20 22:35 boot
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            6 Apr 21 14:32 cdrom -> /GM/cd
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           14 May 13  1999 desktop
drwxr-xr-x   7 root     root        46080 Jun 21 00:14 dev
drwxr-xr-x  57 root     root         9216 Jun 21 12:23 etc
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 May 16 00:18 export
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Oct 10  1999 floppy
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     root         1024 Apr 17 01:34 home
drwxr-xr-x   5 raja     kmem         1024 Sep 24  1999 ism
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         4096 Apr 26 21:42 lib
-rwxr--r--   1 root     disk          151 Feb 27 11:38 liprefs.js
drwxr-xr-x  24 raja     disk         4096 May 22 15:08 local
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        12288 May  9  1999 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Nov 24  1999 misc
drwxr-xr-x  15 root     root         1024 Jun 18 19:28 mnt
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 May 13  1999 mozilla
drwxr-xr-x   5 raja     kmem         1024 Jan 23 10:36 netscape
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Jun 20 17:06 obj -> /opt/obj
drwxr-xr-x  45 raja     disk         1024 Jun 13 16:47 opt
drwxr-xr-x   2 raja     kmem         1024 May 14  1999 private
dr-xr-xr-x  95 root     root            0 Jun 21 00:54 proc
drwx------  22 root     root         2048 Jun 20 16:48 root
drwxr-xr-x   5 root     root         5120 Jun 18 12:40 sbin
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Apr 28  1996 shlib
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            9 Jun 13 00:46 src -> /VM/F/src
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Nov  9  1999 tftpboot
drwxrwxrwt  17 root     root        10240 Jun 21 12:23 tmp
drwxr-xr-x  24 raja     disk         2048 Jun 17 22:52 usr
drwxr-xr-x  28 root     root         1024 Aug 23  1999 var
-rwxr--r--   1 raja     disk       837347 Jun 18 12:49 vmlinuz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root      1031465 Dec 27 02:05 vmlinuz.~1~
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       903903 Dec 30 11:12 vmlinuz.~2~
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       769671 Dec 30 22:39 vmlinuz.~3~
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       615960 Jan  4 22:37 vmlinuz.~4~
drwxr-xr-x   2 201      201          1024 Apr 25 15:02 vmware-linux-tools
real 0.45
user 0.00
sys 0.02

raja@mylinux:/home/raja >
$ uname -a
Linux mylinux.mydomain 2.2.15 #13 mar jun 20 22:35:04 CEST 2000 i686 unknown
raja@mylinux:/home/raja >
$ time -p sh -c 'set -x && ls -la /VM/C/  2>/dev/null; ls -la /VM/C/ 2>/dev/null'
+ ls -la /VM/C/
total 221
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 11 23:55 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 raja     disk         1024 Jan 18 22:26 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          315 Sep 12  1999 .bash_history
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 AUTOEXEC.BAT
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 19:51 C-opt
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 CONFIG.SYS
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 IO.SYS
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Nov 26  1999 LAROUSSE
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 MSDOS.SYS
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk        26816 Sep 13  1999 NTDETECT.COM
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk        28772 Nov 23  1999 PartF.any
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 May 29 16:43 Program Files
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun  2 18:52 RECYCLER
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 23:10 TEMP
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 16 16:58 WINNT
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Nov 26  1999 bin
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          289 Sep  9  1999 boot.ini
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Mar 24 14:48 cygwin-b20
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 12  1999 dev
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Mar  2 16:00 etc
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 12  1999 home
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep  9  1999 i386
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 26  1999 ism
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 13  1999 mnt
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk       158176 Sep 13  1999 ntldr
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 17:22 obj
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 23:28 tmp
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 12  1999 var
+ ls -la /VM/C/
total 221
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 11 23:55 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 raja     disk         1024 Jan 18 22:26 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          315 Sep 12  1999 .bash_history
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 AUTOEXEC.BAT
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 19:51 C-opt
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 CONFIG.SYS
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 IO.SYS
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Nov 26  1999 LAROUSSE
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk            0 Sep  9  1999 MSDOS.SYS
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk        26816 Sep 13  1999 NTDETECT.COM
-rwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk        28772 Nov 23  1999 PartF.any
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 May 29 16:43 Program Files
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun  2 18:52 RECYCLER
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 23:10 TEMP
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 16 16:58 WINNT
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Nov 26  1999 bin
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          289 Sep  9  1999 boot.ini
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Mar 24 14:48 cygwin-b20
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 12  1999 dev
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Mar  2 16:00 etc
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 12  1999 home
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep  9  1999 i386
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 26  1999 ism
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 13  1999 mnt
-r-xr-xr-x   1 raja     disk       158176 Sep 13  1999 ntldr
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 17:22 obj
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Jun 21 23:28 tmp
drwxr-xr-x   1 raja     disk          512 Sep 12  1999 var
Command exited with non-zero status 1
real 0.68
user 0.00
sys 0.02

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-4.0 RAJA 1.1.2(0.21/3/2) 2000-06-06 22:20 i686 unknown
$ df -hT
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used  Avail  Capacity Mounted on
D:\usr\local\lib\xemacs-21.1.6
              user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.6
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
              user    2.0G  1.1G   874M     56%   /etc
D:\usr\local\lib\xemacs
              user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /usr/local/lib/xemacs
D:\usr\local\bin
              user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /usr/local/bin
D:\cygwin-b20 user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /cygwin-b20
D:\usr\X11R6  user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /usr/X11R6
D:\home       user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /home
C:\obj        user    2.0G  1.1G   874M     56%   /obj
D:\opt        user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /opt
F:\bin        user    2.0G  1.3G   684M     67%   /usr/bin
F:\lib        user    2.0G  1.3G   684M     67%   /usr/lib
F:            user    2.0G  1.3G   684M     67%   /
C:            user    2.0G  1.1G   874M     56%   /C
D:            user    2.0G  1.6G   399M     81%   /D
E:            user    2.0G  1.6G   414M     80%   /E
G:            user    7.8M  4.9M   2.9M     63%   /G
L:            user    494M  433M    61M     88%   /linux
 
$ time -p ls -la /C/ /C/
/C/:
total 47792
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun         315 Sep 12  1999 .bash_history
-rwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 AUTOEXEC.BAT
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 21 17:51 C-opt
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 CONFIG.SYS
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 IO.SYS
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Nov 26  1999 LAROUSSE
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 MSDOS.SYS
-r-xr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun       26816 Sep 13  1999 NTDETECT.COM
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun       28772 Nov 23  1999 PartF.any
drwxr-xr-x  15 gcr      Aucun        4096 May 29 14:43 Program Files
drwxr-xr-x   5 gcr      Aucun        4096 Jun  2 16:52 RECYCLER
drwxr-xr-x   7 gcr      Aucun       12288 Jun 21 21:10 TEMP
drwxr-xr-x  30 gcr      Aucun       18432 Jun 16 14:58 WINNT
drwxr-xr-x   2 gcr      Aucun        4096 Nov 26  1999 bin
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun         289 Sep  8  1999 boot.ini
drwxr-xr-x   6 gcr      Aucun        4096 Mar 24 13:48 cygwin-b20
drwxr-xr-x   2 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 12  1999 dev
drwxr-xr-x   5 gcr      Aucun        4096 Mar  2 15:00 etc
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 12  1999 home
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  9  1999 i386
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 26  1999 ism
drwxr-xr-x   2 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 13  1999 mnt
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun      158176 Sep 13  1999 ntldr
drwxr-xr-x  27 gcr      Aucun       12288 Jun 21 15:22 obj
-r-xr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun    97517568 Jun 20 23:05 pagefile.sys
drwxr-xr-x   9 gcr      Aucun       73728 Jun 21 22:21 tmp
drwxr-xr-x   6 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 12  1999 var

/C/:
total 47792
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun         315 Sep 12  1999 .bash_history
-rwxr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 AUTOEXEC.BAT
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Jun 21 17:51 C-opt
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 CONFIG.SYS
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 IO.SYS
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Nov 26  1999 LAROUSSE
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  8  1999 MSDOS.SYS
-r-xr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun       26816 Sep 13  1999 NTDETECT.COM
-rw-r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun       28772 Nov 23  1999 PartF.any
drwxr-xr-x  15 gcr      Aucun        4096 May 29 14:43 Program Files
drwxr-xr-x   5 gcr      Aucun        4096 Jun  2 16:52 RECYCLER
drwxr-xr-x   7 gcr      Aucun       12288 Jun 21 21:10 TEMP
drwxr-xr-x  30 gcr      Aucun       18432 Jun 16 14:58 WINNT
drwxr-xr-x   2 gcr      Aucun        4096 Nov 26  1999 bin
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun         289 Sep  8  1999 boot.ini
drwxr-xr-x   6 gcr      Aucun        4096 Mar 24 13:48 cygwin-b20
drwxr-xr-x   2 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 12  1999 dev
drwxr-xr-x   5 gcr      Aucun        4096 Mar  2 15:00 etc
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 12  1999 home
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep  9  1999 i386
drwxr-xr-x   3 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 26  1999 ism
drwxr-xr-x   2 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 13  1999 mnt
-r--r--r--   1 gcr      Aucun      158176 Sep 13  1999 ntldr
drwxr-xr-x  27 gcr      Aucun       12288 Jun 21 15:22 obj
-r-xr-xr-x   1 gcr      Aucun    97517568 Jun 20 23:05 pagefile.sys
drwxr-xr-x   9 gcr      Aucun       73728 Jun 21 22:21 tmp
drwxr-xr-x   6 gcr      Aucun           0 Sep 12  1999 var
real 1.26
user 0.07
sys 0.24

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]