Subject: RE: weird hanging problems with cygwin v1.1.2
From: "John Pollock" <[email-masked]>
To: "Terry Lincoln" <[email-masked]>, "Larry Hall \(RFK Partners, Inc\)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:35:03 -0400

>Corinna had added code to enable NT security and it required that
>the security authority provide credentials on the user that was
>logged in for permission setting.

>IIRC, she fixed it so that the information was cached after the
>first request.  But ICBW :-)

That would make some sense with what i saw.  I definitely saw some caching
behavior; the problem that the behavior wasn't consistent.  I'd run "ls" and
get a massive delay, and then it would be quick for a few times in a row,
then it would slow down again.  Maybe the cache expires too quickly?

I'm still not clear, though, on why NT security is needed in any way
different from before.  I mean, in the past, ls would have to check the NTFS
permissions to see if the user had rights, so what's changed?

Thanks for the comments!
John

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]