Subject: Re: How to set editor like VIM in cygwin with and with GUI ?
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Joey Yue <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:11:04 -0400

Joey,

Joey Yue wrote:
> I am using cygwin 1.1.0 in Win2000 Professional, and just tried to look for
> editor like VI or Emacs. I found out VIM and installed VIM today. However, I
> don't know how to set VIM in cygwin edit WITH GUI(GVIM) and WITHOUT
> GUI(console).

My suggestion is to use the pre-built, non-GUI, cygwin version of vim
from:

    http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/vim-5.6/index.html

> Can anyone show me what changed do I have to make in .bashrc, cygwin.bat or
> any related file to use VIM with and without GUI?

Add export VIM=/usr/local/share/vim to your .bashrc.

> Any file or program I need to in order to make the editor work?

You should create ~/.vimrc (can be empty); otherwise, vim defaults to
vi mode and will not autosense file types.  This can lead to spurious
^Ms in your files...

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]