Subject: RE: weird hanging problems with cygwin v1.1.2
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: "John Pollock" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:18:08 -0400

HOME may only be a problem if it were set to "/" (or "\").  If so, your HOME
may get translated to "//" which turns it into a UNC path.  That used to 
happen in the past when HOME was not set, although I think that situation 
is now resolved.  That caused allot of problems like this.  Anyway I'm 
probably getting too deep here.  Another more likely possibility is network 
paths in your path.  Have any of these?

Larry

At 04:09 PM 6/16/2000, John Pollock wrote:
>%HOME% is set to M:\, which is a pointer to my home directory that lives on
>a Linux box running Samba.  When i first run bash, it sources my .bashrc
>file in M:\, but after that point, i don't know why it would have any
>further reliance on that particular network drive.  I could see an instance
>where if it does continually try to access M: and Samba tries to contact the
>PDC of the CURLDEV domain to do continual authentication, that might cause a
>hang.  The thing is, though, that a) i don't know why something like ls.exe
>would need access to %HOME% after bash starts up (and especially just
>running ls from DOS, not even from bash!), and b) i haven't experienced any
>delays on my NT box with any non-cygwin app (even Outlook, which relies on
>my m:\ drive for my .pst file) due to the domain being down. That's what's
>strange about it.  Again, i may just be missing some critical bit of
>knowledge about cygwin, and i'll be happy to be enlightened.  :)
>
>John
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 4:04 PM
>To: John Pollock
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: RE: weird hanging problems with cygwin v1.1.2
>
>
>At 03:34 PM 6/16/2000, John Pollock wrote:
> >no, 'cause i had turned off Norton AntiVirus prior to my 2nd round of
> >experimentation.  There are, however, a few interesting things which i've
> >plucked out using filemon.exe:
> >
> >
> >3:08:28 PM      LSASS.EXE       IRP_MJ_CREATE   \NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc
>SUCCESS
> >Attributes: Any Options: Open
> >3:08:28 PM      LSASS.EXE       IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION
>\NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc  SUCCESS
> >FilePipeInformation
> >3:08:28 PM      LSASS.EXE       FSCTL_PIPE_TRANSCEIVE
>\NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc  SUCCESS
> >WriteLen: 72 ReadLen: 1024
> >3:08:28 PM      LSASS.EXE       FSCTL_PIPE_TRANSCEIVE
>\NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc  SUCCESS
> >WriteLen: 92 ReadLen: 1024
> >
> >
> >"NTCURLDEV" is the name of the NT domain to which my machine belongs.  It's
> >been down for days, which isn't a problem because i log in as a local user
> >to my NT box.  However, filemon shows that each time i run a cygwin tool
> >like ls, cygwin is doing something network-related, even when i'm doing an
> >ls of a local disk (C:).  Same with rm.  I just got the domain back up
>again
> >and the delays appear to have disappeared.  This is disturbing, tho; why
>are
> >these commands network-dependent at all?  This wasn't the case with the
> >previous version of cygwin i was using (b20)
> >
> >There's also mention in the filemon log about scans of c:\etc\passwd (there
> >for sshd purposes) and i'm not sure why that's getting looked at either.
> >
> >John
>
>
>
>How about your HOME environment variable?  What's it set to?
>
>
>
>Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
>RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
>118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
>Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]