Subject: RE: weird hanging problems with cygwin v1.1.2
From: "John Pollock" <[email-masked]>
To: "Larry Hall \(RFK Partners, Inc\)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:34:48 -0400

no, 'cause i had turned off Norton AntiVirus prior to my 2nd round of
experimentation.  There are, however, a few interesting things which i've
plucked out using filemon.exe:

3:08:28 PM	LSASS.EXE	IRP_MJ_CREATE	\NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc	SUCCESS
Attributes: Any Options: Open
3:08:28 PM	LSASS.EXE	IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION	\NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc	SUCCESS
FilePipeInformation
3:08:28 PM	LSASS.EXE	FSCTL_PIPE_TRANSCEIVE	\NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc	SUCCESS
WriteLen: 72 ReadLen: 1024
3:08:28 PM	LSASS.EXE	FSCTL_PIPE_TRANSCEIVE	\NTCURLDEV\PIPE\lsarpc	SUCCESS
WriteLen: 92 ReadLen: 1024

"NTCURLDEV" is the name of the NT domain to which my machine belongs.  It's
been down for days, which isn't a problem because i log in as a local user
to my NT box.  However, filemon shows that each time i run a cygwin tool
like ls, cygwin is doing something network-related, even when i'm doing an
ls of a local disk (C:).  Same with rm.  I just got the domain back up again
and the delays appear to have disappeared.  This is disturbing, tho; why are
these commands network-dependent at all?  This wasn't the case with the
previous version of cygwin i was using (b20)

There's also mention in the filemon log about scans of c:\etc\passwd (there
for sshd purposes) and i'm not sure why that's getting looked at either.

John
-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 2:42 PM
To: John Pollock
Subject: Re: weird hanging problems with cygwin v1.1.2

At 02:34 PM 6/16/2000, you wrote:
>Hey there,
>
>i upgraded to the latest version of cygwin 1.1.2 (using setup -u as of
>yesterday) on an NT 4.0 SP6 box and have had a weird problem where commands
>like ls and rm hang for 20 seconds or so before executing.  However, they
>don't do this consistently, either.  I know that a variation of this
problem
>was fixed a few versions ago where commands would hang from bash every
>single time they were run, but this appears to be a different problem.  The
>thing is, the commands hang regardless of whether i run from bash or from a
>DOS prompt, and again they don't hang every time.   Repeating the same hung
>command immediately after the hang usually causes the command to execute
>immediately.  Strange! Any ideas?
>
>Thanks much!
>John

Is there a Virus software (like McAffee) conflict?

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]