Subject: Re: Pipe dies during backup to remote Sun QUIC streamer
From: Joerg Bruehe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:39:20 +0200

Hi !

Uli Lange wrote:
> 
> Op-system: 20.1 under NT4.0 service pack5
> Backup client: SUN with QUIC streamer
> Problem: Doing a tar from the NT box to a remote SUN QUIC streamer dies.
> 
> Used command: tar --rsh-command=/winnt/system32/rsh.exe -cvb 20 . | rsh
> beach dd of=/dev/rst0 obs=20b
> Description: Several files are backed up and then the pipe dies
> unexpectedly with "fork [Try again]"
> Reading the tape on the SUN with tar -tv shows exactly these files plus
> "Unexpected EOF"
> Every comment is appreciated

1) I do not know the details of GNU tar, esp. the meaning of the
   "--rsh-command" parameter. I can only guess it would be used
   if you gave a "host:device" value for a "-f" parameter,
   but you do not do that (might be worth a try).

2) Which shell are you using, and does it support arbitrary size
   pipes ? Remember you do it on NT, and IMHO this is not a stable
   "base" for many things - pipes being one of them.
   (I had to write a program starting two subprograms to communicate
   via pipes - a real horror, compared to Unix !)

3) How large is the "tar" file really written to tape ?

I suspect that the pipe mechanism does not work in your setting
for your amount of data.

HTH, Joerg Bruehe

-- 
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)
mailto: [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]