Subject: Re: Is -mno-cygwin support being removed????
From: Carl Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: "Bruce E. Wampler" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:02:32 -0700

"Bruce E. Wampler" wrote:
> 
> I've gone over all the past messages in this group, and have found
> no solution.
> 
> As far as I can tell, the -mno-cygwin option is useless in the
> latest net release version because it leads to the
> undefined symbol _impure_ptr at ld time.

I haven't seen that one (yet).  However, with more recent releases, it also
doesn't pull in the right header files with "-mno-cygwin" , "g++
-mno-cygwin" links in the Cygwin libraries anyway and exceptions don't work
(or is that your problem?).

I am one of the core developers of the FLTK GUI toolkit and we are in much
the same bind as you are.  We've relied on Cygwin as a major part of our
Windows platform support in the past and it would be nice if it worked now.

And before some zealous person says "it's open source so fix it yourself" I
don't think that's reasonable.  I don't know the Cygwin code, I've never
built the Cygwin code and I don't know the GCC code.  The Cygwin developers
could fix it better, faster and more cleanly than I if they choose to.  If
there were a bug in FLTK that caused previously working applications to
fail, I would feel honor bound to fix it because I realize that real people
depend on it.  I certainly would not say "well, I don't feel like fixing my
bug myself because you and your code are not important to me so you should
fix my code for me and if your fix is up to my standards I might consider
incoporating it."  I hear a lot of that here.

Not all Cygwin developers want to develop Cygwin.

Personally, I feel that if you release something to the open source
community and ask people to use it, then you have a social obligation to the
community to keep that product working reasonably, and that includes the
timely fixing of bugs that don't affect you personally.  But that's just me,
I guess.

> ...

> Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Carl Thompson

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]