Subject: Re: Make and javac compliler problem in bash
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Kinnucan <[email-masked]>
Cc: Woody Jin <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:56:49 -0400

Paul,

Paul Kinnucan wrote:
> The Windows version of javac does not support paths that BEGIN with a
> forward slash. 

The Windows version of Sun's javac does support paths that begin with
a forward slash.  Although, it will only interpret the path relative to
the current drive letter.

> That is the crux of Jin's complaint.

It certainly will not use Cygwin's mount table -- maybe this is the
crux of Jin's problem.

> Yes, but have you run the Cygnus version of GNU make on Windows/NT?  The
> Cygnus version of GNU make is a version that has been modified to run in
> two modes: Windows mode and  Unix mode. See the Cygnus FAQ for more
> information.  I've generally had the most success running the Cygnus
> version when I run it in UNIX mode.

I have from b17 to b20.1 (and soon on 1.1.2), but only in UNIX mode.

Due to desiring tolerance of \r\n in makefiles, I decided to upgrade
from Cygwin make 3.77 to GNU make 3.79.  It built OOTB without any
fuss.  And since I'm only interested in UNIX mode, I didn't notice any
issues (ie, lack of the Windows mode).

Since Chris was nice enough to release Cygwin make 3.79, I will be
switching back to the make included with the Net distribution as soon
as it is convenient.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]