Subject: Re: Make and javac compliler problem in bash
From: Paul Kinnucan <[email-masked]>
To: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>, Woody Jin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:41:13 -0400

At 03:21 PM 6/12/00 -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Jin,
>
>Woody Jin wrote:
>> 1) I thought that javac, being a product of Sun Microsystem, (and there
exist
>>      its counterpart in Unix) would accept unix style path, which I found
>> is  not
>>      the case.
>
>Sun's javac does support paths with forward slashes -- but will not
>handle Cygwin style path's (via mounts, symlinks, etc.).
>

The Windows version of javac does not support paths that BEGIN with a
forward slash. That is the crux of Jin's complaint. 

>> 2) Rather than messing around the backslash and slash all over the places,
>>      and make Makefiles and other shell scripts incompatible with the Unix,
>>      (for example, I want to use the same Makefile on both platform
>
>We successfully use GNU make (ie, 3.79) and javac on both NT and UNIX
>without any problems.  See attached for an example.
>

Yes, but have you run the Cygnus version of GNU make on Windows/NT?  The
Cygnus version of GNU make is a version that has been modified to run in
two modes: Windows mode and  Unix mode. See the Cygnus FAQ for more
information.  I've generally had the most success running the Cygnus
version when I run it in UNIX mode.

- Paul

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]