Subject: Re: disk/file Image Utility ?
From: Carl Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Van de Vyver - accfin_staff <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:54:13 -0700

Mark Van de Vyver - accfin_staff wrote:

> ...

>  The idea is to make a complete backup of a system disk on another
>  disk under Win-NT (possibly with compressed drives!!)  I've fiddled
>  enough with NT to suspect that this would be extremely difficult :)

You'll want to be careful there.  I'm a Unix geek and not a Windows guru by
any stretch, but I know there are at least a couple of pitfalls with backups
on Windows.

If you use a file based backup program and have FAT16 or FAT32 based
partitions, you'll want to be sure to use a Windows native backup program
and not a port of a Unix program.  Windows backup programs _must_ properly
match the long and short filenames on these partition types and a Unix port
probably won't do that.

Also, in any case, you'll want to make sure you're backing up to back up one
particular system only and not to allow duping disks across multiple
machines, especially if you're using the domain networking model and not the
workgroup model.  Each machine under NT has a unique system ID which really
must be unique or things won't work right.  Again, there are applications
designed especially for NT to handle that, but a port from a Unix utility
won't.

Microsoft making your life easier!  My point is you almost certainly don't
want to use a Cygwin ported backup program for Windows if you want to keep
your hair.  Microsoft does not want you to back up; they want you to
reinstall.

> ...

>  TIA
>  MV

Carl Thompson

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]