Subject: Re: Extreme newbie here...
From: Carl Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: Dave Hanny <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 00:23:40 -0700

Dave Hanny wrote:

> ...

> I'm just looking for a free compiler, and I thought Cygwin was one.

Cygwin does include a compiler, but it is geared to be used with the Cygwin
environment and DLL to port Unix programs to Windows.  If you are just
looking for a compiler to learn to write Windows programs and don't need to
port a Unix application, you would probably do better going with something
else.  I would suggest going to http://winfiles.com and checking out their
programmer section.  There are free IDEs you can find there suitable new
programmers.

(Cygwin did have the ability to generate Windows programs, but it is
unfortunately broken in recent releases.)

> Thanks!

> ...

Carl Thompson

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]