Subject: mount's --change-cygdrive-prefix option (was Re: text / binary mounts (sorry))
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:43:45 -0400

Chris Faylor wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >Is this a documentation or programming bug?
> 
> Dunno.  How about checking out the sources and finding out?

This a programming bug or by design.

I tracked the issue down to winsup/cygwin/path.cc:

int
mount_info::write_cygdrive_info_to_registry (const char *cygdrive_prefix, unsigned flags)
{
  /* reg_key for user mounts in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. */
  reg_key r;
  ...
}

The reg_key constructor above

    reg_key(REGSAM access = KEY_ALL_ACCESS)

was designed to construct an object that only operates on
HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

It is easy to change write_cygdrive_info_to_registry () to check flags
and write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER as appropriate.  I
have already implemented this.

The tougher issue is the desired semantics when reading the cygdrive
path prefix from the registry.  That is, what should be the
functionality of read_cygdrive_info_from_registry ():

1. Should it search for the system path prefix and if not found,
then search for the user path prefix?  Or, should it search for the
user path prefix and then the system?

2. When no path prefixes are found should it default the system path
prefix?  Or, should it default the user path prefix (as it currently
does)?

Any thoughts?

I am willing to implement the consensus and supply patches.

Thanks,
Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]