Subject: RE: NT security and cygwin
From: David Bolen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "'Tolkin, Steve'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:52:47 -0400

Tolkin, Steve [[email-masked]] writes:

> I now say
> export CYGWIN="ntsec ntea tty notitle"
> in my .bashrc, but this does not seem to change anything.

Your .bashrc is too late to set this variable.  The CYGWIN environment
variable is read by CYGWIN1.DLL when it is first loaded (which happens when
you run the first Cygwin executable).  So in this case, the fact that you
started bash loaded cygwin1.dll and looked for the variable.  By the time
bash got around to reading the .bashrc and setting the variable, the DLL had
already looked for it.

The simplest way to handle this is to set the variable in the system
environment (right Click on My Computer, choose Properties and then
Environment) or in your per-user environment.

Next, make sure that you exit _all_ applications that use the cygwin1.dll
file - and this includes stopping any services that may be linked to it.

Then, the next time you start up processes you'll be using the new CYGWIN
values.

-- David

/-----------------------------------------------------------------------\
 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: [email-masked]  /
  |             FitLinxx, Inc.            \  Phone: (203) 708-5192    |
 /  860 Canal Street, Stamford, CT  06902   \  Fax: (203) 316-5150     \
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]