Subject: Re: Obtaining short DOS file names?
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "Cygwin Mailing List (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:29:40 -0400

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 10:21:39AM -0400, Paul Stodghill wrote:
>I'm working with some shell scripts under Cygwin that do not handle spaces
>in file names very well. "No problem," I think, "I'll just use the short
>versions of the file names".
>
>Is there anyway to obtain the short version of a file name from the long
>version within a shell script?

There is no cygwin-specific way of getting the short file name.  The concept
has no meaning on UNIX.  There are Windows programs available which do this.
'dir' is one of them, for instance.

Is there some reason why quoting the filename doesn't work?

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]