Subject: Re: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:14:33 -0400

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 08:14:15AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Chris Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
>-8<-
>> I have mixed feelings about this.  I routinely use //sys/share to access
>> remote
>> shares.  If cygwin had translated sys:share to //sys/share two or three years
>> ago then I would be using that mechanism instead.
>> 
>> Unfortunately, this use is embedded in various scripts on my machine.  I
>> would
>> be surprised if I was the only person who would be affected by this.
>
>Well, we've changed the way other things work without regard to what might
>break by doing so, e.g., the Windows path \ deal.  So, what's the sweat about
>this change, you just fix what breaks.

If you're referring to the use of backslash in path specs, the intent was to
help a lot of people who had a natural assumption that \foo\bar would refer
to c:\foo\bar if they were on the c: drive.  As you can see, I'm trying to
accomodate the Windows assumptions here.

Changing cygwin so that it ignored a leading // would be exactly the opposite
philosophy and it would basically just accomodate broken software rather
than natural user assumptions.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]