Subject: Repost: Telnet Server and BASH.EXE
From: "Chris Wilson" <[email-masked]>
To: "CygWin Project" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 10:49:45 -0400

On a suggestion against using HTMLMail from Ron Parker, I am reposting this
question in plain-text mode.  I apologize to all my HTMLMail may have
bothered. :)

BTW, Ron. I have tried to get to the URL you posted in your previous
response with no avail.  It appears the server is not responding when I try
it.  I'll keep trying, though.  Thanks. :)

====Begin Paste====
Hello all. I've been using the CYGWIN software for quite some time now, and
just recently moved to Windows 2000.

I haven't experienced any problems with the software running under W2K,
though I don't really do any CYGWIN development. I basically use it to keep
my Linux-user skills in check when I'm forced to work at a Windows machine
all day long.

W2K has a nice little telnet server built in, and from the registry you can
manually set the default shell you wish to use.  However, when I set it for
bash.exe I have problems.

I have made the following registry modifications for the telnet server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TelnetServer\1.0

DefaultShell = D:\BIN\BASH.EXE --login -i -o ignoreeof

LoginScript = (value not set)

Termcap = D:\BIN\TERMCAP

The default settings were:

DefaultShell  %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /q /k

LoginScript   %SystemRoot%\system32\login.cmd

Termcap       %SystemRoot%\system32\termcap

The termcap file from the original entry, I copied into my CYGWIN's BIN
directory before making the registry change.  Then I start the TelnetD
service.

However, when I telnet to the machine I get the following response:

0 [main] bash 1000 hinfo_init: couldn't make stderr distinct from stdout

And then it just hangs there until I disconnect the telnet session.

In the task manager, I can see 2 items start when I telnet to the machine.
TLNTSESS.EXE and BASH.EXE, however I never get my bash prompt, and like I
said previously, the session hangs until I disconnect. The TLNTSESS.EXE and
BASH.EXE do get closed when I disconnect.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, or is there another telnet
server I should be using instead of the built-in Microsoft one?

Thank you for any help anyone might offer. Have a great day.

====End Paste====

-
Chris Wilson

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]