Subject: Re: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
From: Bob McGowan <[email-masked]>
To: "Parker, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 15:27:36 -0700

If the decision stands to change bash, doesn't that imply a need to fix
the other shells too?

I think a single fix, in a common place for all applications, applied
automatically (and without the application needing to know about it),
would be preferred.  But as Chris points out, many users may already be
relying on the //name as a computer, leading to a lot of editing to fix
the problem.

Ron, you asked me about a free NFS client for windows.  At this time I
don't know of one, but I'll see what I can find.  However, this may not
be needed.  With SAMBA available for UNIX systems, a translation of
server:share to //server/share would transparently access the SAMBA
server.  There are configuration issues to make this work correctly but
that is administration stuff.  I'd suggest not worrying about the NFS
side.  What do you think?

"Parker, Ron" wrote:
> 
> > Bash's use of // should be fixed, IMO.  I did fix it once
> > myself but I never
> > forwarded the changes to the maintainer.  My bad.
> 
> As did I.  Would your preference be that I rework the patch for it and
> submit it to the bash maintainer?
> 
> Would a cygwin patch with server:share as an alternate form be welcome?
> 
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Part 1.2Type: Plain Text (text/plain)

-- 
Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]