Subject: Re: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)
From: Bob McGowan <[email-masked]>
To: "Parker, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:22:21 -0700

> 
> Which makes me wonder would a patch to cygwin be welcome that did the
> following?
> 
> * Make multiple introductory slashes on a path behave as a single
> introductory slash
> * Make paths that begin with name: and contain no backslashes behave as a
> network path
> 
> In other words, "///myfile" would translate to "/myfile" and
> "machine:dir/file" or "machine:/dir/file" would map to the Windows path
> \\machine\dir\file.
> 

I would endorse this, since it would make the operation of Cygwin more
'unix like'.  All unix systems I'm familiar with (mostly SVR3 and SVR4
derived) treat a '//' the same as '/./' so a path that comes up looking
like //usr/src
is handled correctly.  I would speculate that this was done so the root
user's home directory '/' would work correctly with absolute path names
generated elsewhere.

Currently Cygwin treats multiple slashes in a path (abc//xyz) in this
way, anyway, so doing so for leading slashes would also make the
operation consistent.

The network part is something I cannot comment on in detail though it
looks OK.  I would wonder what would happen if I had an NFS client
installed, with some UNIX NFS server file system mounted, would the
format UNXISERVER:nfs_mount be correctly handled?

-- 
Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]