Subject: Re: cygnus problem...
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: B&T <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 23:41:00 -0400

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 11:31:02PM -0400, B&T wrote:
>You wrote:
>>On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 04:15:27PM -0700, Jon Leichter wrote:
>>>#!/bin/sh
>>>ls
>>>
>>>If I try to run the 'xx' script, I get the following result:
>>>
>>>bash-2.03$ sh xx
>>>: not found
>>
>>You have \r\n line endings in your xx file.
>
>I'm wondering if your answer applies to my situation, and what
>the fix is?

This has been discussed countless time on the cygwin mailing list.
I just answered it fifteen minutes ago:

>On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 10:15:06PM -0500, Tim Horton wrote:
>>Anyone notice that bash in the new cygwin 1.1.1 cannot
>>source a bash script?  My .bashrc files are processed,
>>though with lots of errors and the outcome is garbled.
>>All my aliases have quotes in strange places, and it
>>tries to process comments.
>
>We've noted that cygwin 1.1.1 has problems with files that have
>\r\n line endings.  That's why bash has problems.
>
>This will be fixed in 1.1.3, which I hope to make available in
>a couple of days.

If you are not running version 1.1.1 (i.e., you're running 1.1.0) of
cygwin then you can fix this by mounting any directories containing the
files which have "carriage return/line feed" line endings as:

mount -t c:\somedirectory\or\other /somedirectory/or/other

If you are running 1.1.1, then the only fix currently available is to
edit your files and eliminate the \r (carriage returns, ascii 13
character) from your file.

Someone posted a utility for doing this recently.  I don't recall
offhand what it was or where to find it.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]