Subject: Re: Login incorrect
From: James Dumser <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:13:52 -0500

On Fri, 19 May 2000 16:04:08 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> - If you use rsh for login purposes, it calls rlogind on the host
>   side. Is it possible that you use inetutils-1.3.2 instead of
>   inetutils-1.3.2-2? I had uploaded it yesterday around 9:30am UTC
>   and announced in cygwin around 10:30am UTC.
>   rlogind had a problem in the previous version which could be
>   the reason that you couldn't see the CYGWIN env variable.

I have inetutils-1.3.2. I installed it yesterday at 13:05 UTC, but the
mirror I used must not have been updated at that time.

> - Your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files aren't correct. Group
>   513 is _not_ `Administrators' but the group `None' on stand-alone
>   systems or `Domain Users' on systems which are NT domain members.
>   Group `Administrators' has SID 1-5-32-544 which results in GID
>   544 if you haven't changed it by yourself.

The NT box isn't registered in a domain. I generated my passwd using
mkpasswd -l -g (I didn't realize there was a mkgroup so I created the
group file with mkpasswd -g). The only edits I've done were to set home
directories, login shell, and full names.

/etc/passwd: (not all users shown)
  Everyone:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
  SYSTEM:*:18:18:,S-1-5-18::
  Administrator::500:513:Super
User,S-1-5-21-650647601-521874506-1862565094-500:/:/bin/bash
  Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
  Users:*:545:545:,S-1-5-32-545::
  Guests:*:546:546:,S-1-5-32-546::
  Power Users:*:547:547:,S-1-5-32-547::
  Backup Operators:*:551:551:,S-1-5-32-551::
  Replicator:*:552:552:,S-1-5-32-552::
  jadu::1003:513:Jim
Dumser,S-1-5-21-650647601-521874506-1862565094-1003:/home/jadu:/bin/bash

> Hint:
> 
> NT doesn't manage group memberships in a responsible way on
> stand-alone systems. No user (Admins, too) has a primary group
> as it's managed in U*X like systems. Files created by any user
> have the group `None' as their group entry. Nevertheless, if
> you use ntsec and if you change your primary group membership
> in /etc/passwd, this is taken into account by ntsec.

I verified that CYGWIN has ntsec, updated /etc/passwd to specify the
correct GIDs, and correctly created my group file (mkgroup -l). Now I
get
  bash-2.03$ id
  uid=500(administrator) gid=544(Administrators)
groups=544(Administrators)
  bash-2.03$ ls -alF ~jadu
  total 7
  drwxr-xr-x   2 administ Administ     4096 May 19 07:49 ./
  drwxr-xr-x   3 administ Administ     4096 May 19 07:42 ../
  -rw-r--r--   1 administ Administ      458 May 19 09:23 .bash_history
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 administ Administ      205 May 19 07:49 .bashrc*
  -rw-r--r--   1 administ Administ     1742 May 18 08:40 login.README

> Either this is related to the rlogind problem or you are
> trying to use ntsec on a FAT partition. ntsec has no effect
> on FAT partitions because it depends on the ability of the
> file system to support access control lists.

It's NTFS. As the above ls shows, it still shows the wrong owner. I'll
try updating to 1.3.2-2 later today to see if that fixes the problem.

-- 
Jim Dumser  [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]