Subject: Re: Login incorrect
From: James Dumser <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:06:15 -0500

On Fri, 19 May 2000 00:47:18 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Yep. You are right. If you try to use login on the command line,
> your _current_ login user must have that rights.
> 
> If you start from inetd, started as service under LocalSystem
> account, that's no problem because LocalSystem has all
> necessary rights.

There seems to be some problems in the (cygwin emulation) of ownership
and group membership. I'm running inetd (and cygwin-1.1.1) on Windows
NT. When I telnet or rsh in as a non-Administrators group user (the user
is a member of Power Users, but not Administrators) and run id, I get
	uid=1003(jadu) gid=513(Administrators)
My system/global CYGWIN is set to tty ntea ntsec, although that doesn't
show up in rsh sessions.

One other discrepancy concerns file ownership. Logged in as jadu, ls
-alF ~jadu shows
  bash-2.03$ id
  uid=1003(jadu) gid=513(Administrators)
  bash-2.03$ 
  total 7
  drwxr-xr-x   2 jadu     Administ     4096 May 19 07:49 ./
  drwxr-xr-x   3 jadu     Administ     4096 May 19 07:42 ../
  -rw-r--r--   1 jadu     Administ      366 May 19 07:34 .bash_history
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 jadu     Administ      205 May 19 07:49 .bashrc*
  -rw-r--r--   1 jadu     Administ     1742 May 18 08:40 login.README
If I'm logged in as Administrator, I get
  bash-2.03$ id
  uid=500(administrator) gid=513(Administrators)
  bash-2.03$ ls -alF
  total 7
  drwxr-xr-x   2 administ Administ     4096 May 19 07:49 ./
  drwxr-xr-x   3 administ Administ     4096 May 19 07:42 ../
  -rw-r--r--   1 administ Administ      447 May 19 07:53 .bash_history
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 administ Administ      205 May 19 07:49 .bashrc*
  -rw-r--r--   1 administ Administ     1742 May 18 08:40 login.README
It appears the file owner follows whoever is logged in. Yet I (as
Administrator) can't write to ~jadu:
  bash-2.03$ cd ~jadu
  bash-2.03$ touch junk
  touch: junk: Permission denied

--  
Jim Dumser  [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]