Subject: RE: TeX for Cygwin
From: "Kevin Wright" <[email-masked]>
To: "Markus Hoenicka" <[email-masked]>, "Mike MacDonald" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:26:51 -0600

Markus Hoenicka writes:

> 
> MiKTeX (www.miktex.de) is not based on cygwin, but runs in 
> cygwin/bash just fine.
> Markus
> 
> Mike MacDonald writes:
>  > Has anyone gotten a TeX distribution to work under Cygwin?
>  > 

I have gotten TeX to work for cygwin but it took a while so 
I might not be able to remember everything I had to do. It
was one of those late night hacking sessions...

Here's some of what I *do* remember:

I tried installing teTex and had the same error as you did.
(unable to find texconfig). I decided to install texk-7.2
(texk-7.2b.tar.gz on the tug website) instead but had some 
problems with __cdecl:

../kpathsea/c-proto.h:24: warning: `__cdecl' redefined

which I fixed by changing the code to:

#if !defined(__CYGWIN__)
#define DllImport
#define __cdecl
#elif (defined(_DLL) && !defined(_IMPORT)) || !defined(_DLL)
#define DllImport
#else
#define DllImport __declspec(dllimport)
#endif

I installed the texklib-7.2.tar.gz in /usr/local/share and 
setup a few environment variables:

TEXMFCNF=/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/share/texmf

After getting texk-7.2 built and installed I was able to use
dvips, xdvi, etc. When I get a chance, I'll run a diff on the
code that I patched and send it to the mailling list. (I 
remember playing with the kpathsea/c-fopen.h file)

I'm currently revisting installing teTex but am installing it
in /usr/local/teTeX in an attempt to avoid conflicts. This
may not be a good idea to have both versions so I'm treading
lightly. 

My main purpose in all of this is to be able to convert docs
to PostScript to be able to read them with Ghostview or better
yet GV as well as printing them out. 

Hope this helps.

--Kevin Wright

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]