Subject: Re: Help! Updated: Cygwin DLL 1.1.1
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:10:35 -0400

I assume that the cygwin1.dll that you downloaded was older because
you used a mirror which hadn't received the newest version of cygwin
yet.  This is, again, an assumption that I hadn't realized that I
was making.  I assumed that people would realize that it took a while
for new versions of software to reach mirror sites, but I should have
made that clear.

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 05:27:07PM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
>I had a plain old (?) installation of cygwin B20 without any cygdrive 
>mounts. Now after the announcement, I just tried to setup -u cygwin.
>
>My first surprise was that it did not install over my current cygwin; 
>should I have entered 
>"C:\Programme\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32" when I was asked for 
>a directory or what? It downloaded all files in C:\tmp and left them 
>there.

So, I assume that c:\tmp was the empty directory that I specified.
What are "all of the files", exactly?  "setup -u cygwin" should have
downloaded one file.

The procedure that I mentioned in my email was intended for updating
an already existing "new" cygwin installation.  I had assumed that
anyone updating to 1.1.1 would already have 1.1.0 on their system.

I know that it is usually stupid to assume things like this but I
actually never conceived of the fact that someone would take my
instructions and try to update a B20 installation.

>Surprise 2 was the downloaded directory structure. It includes a lot 
>of directories that I couldn't match to the old structure, including a 
>whole new ...i686... tree (I was assuming I might have to move 
>downloaded files into their correct place). Why this multiple forest 
>of bin/lib/H-i586/something-686 subtrees anyway? Well, maybe I don't 
>need to understand that.

I guess you haven't been reading this mailing list much.  We're
standardizing on one layout.  Incidentally, it does not include the
H-i586 part that you mentioned above, unless you want it to.

>Next surprise was that the downloaded cygwin1.dll, just announced, was 
>dated March, 2000 - much older than the latest snapshot.

I.e., you downloaded from a mirror which hadn't received the 1.1.1
version yet.

>And finally, if I now start a cygwin shell, I get an environment where 
>C:\tmp is mounted to / and nothing works as before (C:\ was /).

I have no idea what you're talking about here.  Possibly this is a
side effect of the fact that you haven't installed the entire net
release.

Otherwise, if this is really true, you can easily rectify this behavior
by using the mount/umount command.

>Help! I want my straightforward old cygwin configuration back, please.

Check out the 'old' directory.  The b20 stuff is still available in
the old/cygwin-b20 directory.  Feel free to reinstall from there.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]