Subject: Licensing and Cygwin vs. Mingw
From: Joerg Bruehe <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 14:17:14 +0200

Greetings ! 

I am quite new to the Cygwin world, so please bear with me (and tell 
me) if this is a FAQ or otherwise inappropriate here ... 
I know Mumit Khan's "No-Cygwin-Howto", but would rather check: 

My company is doing SW development for both (several) Unix and Win 
platforms, and I try to re-unite the tool chains used. This implies 
to have a Unix-like tool chain on WinNT, generating SW for WinNT 
as well as Win95/98. 
I would prefer using a gcc/egcs compiler on Win (like on Linux) over 
using the M$ stuff, and Cygwin seems to be the way to do that. 

Am I right in understanding that the '-mno-cygwin' compiler option 
will cause it to generate object files which only need the MS-supplied 
libraries, so that giving the final program to customers would not 
violate any license conditions ? 

If yes: 
Is there any list of library functions or system calls (typically 
available in Unix) which the '-mno-cygwin' does _not_ provide ? 
(There is no GUI-, IPC- or other "sophisticated" code involved, 
as we already have Win-specific variants of this.) 
My main concern here is 'fork', 'exec', and 'wait' - would I have 
to replace these by Win32 API calls ? What about 'malloc' ? 

Thank you for hints, 
Joerg Bruehe 

-- 
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)
mailto: [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]